Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before all the abusive comments about messing with an all original parts 1st Gen SAA, here is the story. This gun was purchased new by my 4th great grand father who was a civil war veteran and post war sheriff (Arkansas, Washington Co.). It was matched with a Colt Lighting (same year of mfg) also in 44-40 (I understood that was a common ammo strategy). An original pre-restoration picture is attached. Basically the gun was completely broken, barrel eroded and pitted, action broken, half cock tab broken, no finish identifiable in any portion of the gun. The only bright spot was the existence of all the original parts and no evidence of any repairs (obviously). The grips, for some reason, were in very good shape. We decided on a complete Lanara restoration with new barrel and cylinder (Dave returned both originals). My "Colt" guy in the neighborhood is a knowledgeable SAA person and was thoroughly impressed with the results (along with me). The result was an incredibly pretty, shootable pistol that the family could enjoy. Share and enjoy (or criticize).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
No criticism here. Great looking gun. I done the same to my 1881 .45 it to was in rough shape before the restore. All original parts also but being a black powder gun very rough finish. I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: MikenAZ and Colt-SL

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Your eyes are now able to feast on it exactly as his did when it arrived new. We will get no closer to a time machine than such a careful, authentic restoration.

Reactions: SDC454502

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Beautiful job and one to be proud of. I will soon be receiving my SAA Long Flute from Dave and will post before & after pictures in a separate post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It was definitely a tough decision. Categorically, an original gun is more valuable than a restoration. The question is what level of deteriation do you do something about it. My decision was based on the gun store original look with case coloring, acid etched barrel, fresh bluing told a better story than the original condition presented. The aged original grips give it the link to the family member. Completely ignore the fact that it is now a really fun family shooting day gun with a great story.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
IMO, you made all the right moves. you decided that you didn't want just a wall hanger, and you had a company that knows what they're doing make it perfect again.
Fine looking gun.
If an unusable Colt gun has some sort of provenance of relatively equal value to collectors, then yeah - different decision. But You had a parts gun and and value is mostly sentimental to you..
It's outstanding.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Dave Lanara thought it was an untouched original gun.
At one time I read that he would not restore original guns. That policy must have changed.

If it was original, I have doubts about the skill of the Lanara polisher based on the picture I posted above. The seams between gripframe and frame look rounded / soft to me. Perhaps it is the lighting of the picture though.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
It was definitely a tough decision. Categorically, an original gun is more valuable than a restoration. The question is what level of deteriation do you do something about it. My decision was based on the gun store original look with case coloring, acid etched barrel, fresh bluing told a better story than the original condition presented. The aged original grips give it the link to the family member. Completely ignore the fact that it is now a really fun family shooting day gun with a great story.
I wanted to say also- welcome the the Colt Forum. Since you posted and solicited opinions, you're right to expect the pros and cons. However, we want to treat everyone with respect, especially new members. You will occasionally get some "wet blanket" opinions. Since you inquired, everyone has that option.
However, please don't feel like you will be subject to abuse, ridicule, etc or ongoing negative input from one person or group. It's your post- and you don't have to be made fun of, etc. "Flaming - trolling posts" can be easily reported with little icon under the post, so you don't have to argue with unreasonable posts.
There's ways to disagree without being totally disrespectful. I like to give and get the same respect as I would a face to face conversation. I think that's a detail that sets this forum part from many others.
This forum has really good moderator(s) that do their best to be fair.

So welcome and keep posting "purty" guns.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.