Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys

Stumbled over a 1921 SAA .45 yesterday.
This is not an everyday-thing in Denmark.

I went ahead and bought it for the equivalent of 2500 USD

I think it looks kind of nice and original.
And if so, 2500 dollars is quite a bargain in Europe.

Mechanically it is very nice and the rifling is sharp.

It has the serial no. under the left grip as they should have in that serial range.
Colt stamped backstrap S/N on the left side during 1920-21 production for some reason.
Before and later the S/N was stamped on the right side.
But there is some canceled number under the right hand grip. (Looks like a factory thing)
Maybe they just used whatever parts they had in stock that day??

IMG186.jpg IMG193.jpg IMG188.jpg IMG189.jpg IMG190.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Looks like a nice 45 x 4-3/4......after around 1919 or so they started stamping the straps under the grips with the serial number and the number on the back of the frame should match the number on the loading gate.

The cylinder may or may not have the last 2 digits on the back of it.

Be careful and don't over tighten the grip screw, it looks like the right grip in the area of the grip escutcheon is getting weak with those cracks and if you over tighten you might pull the escutcheon through the back side of the grip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assembly numbers on loading gate and back of frame does match.
2 digits on the back of the cylinder also match the last digits of the serial no.

I will be carefull with the grips :)

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
I will be carefull with the grips :)
You might want to ask some of our astute members here about what you can do in order to stop the grip problem before it becomes a larger problem. I myself would probably put some kind of hard 2 part epoxy inside the cracks to reinforce the weak area. It's all internal and it's not anything that will devalue the piece.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, they look like the original grips with the serial nos. inside, so might be a good idea to prevent further cracking somehow.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Drop a little Super Glue into the cracks in the grips to seal and stop the cracking, it will also make the grip stronger in that area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have now Super Glued the grip.
Good solution, easy to get the Super Glue all the way into the cracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts