Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a SAA in 45 Colt, ser. number 3011XX, made in 1907. The rampant colt logo is stamped between two of the chambers on the back of the cylinder. What vintage is this cylinder?

I understand the frame should be case hardened. It appears blue, but has some bownish splotches on both sides of the lower part of the frame that look like they could be the pattern of case hardening. The rest of the gun, including the frame stamping, does not look like it has been reblued. Could this be natural deterioration of the case hardening, or what has likely been done to the frame finish?

Thank you. I will appreciate the sharing of your knowledge and experience .

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
The rampant colt on the back of the cylinder means it's 2nd generation made after 1956. What kind of markings are on the barrel? The caliber marking should be just a simple 45 colt on the left side of the barrel in front of the frame for a 1907 production date. If it says "colt single action army 45" then it's either a post 1929 barrel or 2nd generation barrel.

Pictures of the frame would help ID it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The barrel markings are correct, and everything else seems to be correct except what you have confirmed for me, that the cylinder has been changed, and then whatever is going on with the finish on the frame.

Thanks a bunch for the info andyour quick response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm afraid you are probably right about the frame refinish, but I am a bit puzzled about the brown splotches that look somewhat like a casehardening pattern. The confrimation that the cylinder is not original tells me that I need to pass on the gun at the price it would take to get it. I hate it because it has a nice set of old fitted (not original) ivories on it!

Thank you for your response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts