Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i have just acquired four SAA 1st Generations with the earliest being the first or second year of production and the latest being 1905. The oldest one is not in functioning form hammer and trigger work but the cylinder will not advance. The other 3 are full functioning,two blued and one nickle plated. I am looking for more information on these firearms.

They are all between 4 3/4"-5", The Nickle plated is a 44-40 the others are all 45 LC.

If there is anyone that could help me with anything it would be great!!!

THanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
pictures?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have them end of the weekend, They are at my FFL Dealer waiting for my NY State Purchase Coupons.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
The hard rubber eagle gripped gun appears to be the most original of the bunch. The 1905 one looks decent but the grips have been replaced. The early one has a cut barrel and the nickel one is renickeled and appears to have had the barrel cut also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How can you tell the Barrels were cut, they were also produced with 4 3/4" and 5" barrels. As I said I am new to the SAA's and would love all the insight possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see on the oldest one now that i look the front of the barrel is cut straight with now round crown..... the other three have the rounded barrel ends

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
How can you tell the Barrels were cut, they were also produced with 4 3/4" and 5" barrels. As I said I am new to the SAA's and would love all the insight possible.
There are some basic rules you learn after collecting for 30 years and one of them is that colt didn't put short barrels on a 9xx range single action and very very rarely on the 57,xxx range time period and compare the front sights on them to the 135,xxx gun and the 264,xxx range gun. Good reference books and first hand experience of inspecting and comparing will serve you well over time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There are some basic rules you learn after collecting for 30 years and one of them is that colt didn't put short barrels on a 9xx range single action and very very rarely on the 57,xxx range time period and compare the front sights on them to the 135,xxx gun and the 264,xxx range gun. Good reference books and first hand experience of inspecting and comparing will serve you well over time.
Well considering that I am not even 30 yet and have been able get these firearms I think I am doing petty well. Thanks for the help! I see what you are talking about with the front sights.

Is there any way a value could be established?

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Well considering that I am not even 30 yet and have been able get these firearms I think I am doing petty well. Thanks for the help! I see what you are talking about with the front sights.

Is there any way a value could be established?
Be careful....a person can spend a lot of money really fast accumulating a "collection". :)

I'm going to say that the value of what you pictured is going to range from $1000 to $1200 for the renickeled / cut barreled one to up to over $2200 for the eagle gripped one.

The 9xx range gun may be of extra interest to some because of the low serial number.

When it comes to collectibles, value literally is the intersection of where a person will sell and another person will pay for any particular item at any particular time. Valuation books are great but I've never seen a book buy a gun yet. There must be a willing seller and a willing buyer to establish value. Other than that it's just all talk.

Reactions: Matchlock

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
When it comes to collectibles, value literally is the intersection of where a person will sell and another person will pay for any particular item at any particular time. Valuation books are great but I've never seen a book buy a gun yet. There must be a willing seller and a willing buyer to establish value. Other than that it's just all talk.
Well stated!

·
Registered
713 Posts
ColtSixGuns,
That sounds like a treatise on gun collection economics to me:)

"Valuation books are great but I've never seen a book buy a gun yet. There must be a willing seller and a willing buyer to establish value. Other than that it's just all talk."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Tfurnr,
Best advice I can give you on gun collecting is to buy the best condition guns you can get. The premier condition gun will escalate in value more than the run of the mill variety. NIB box will go up more. You will pay more initially for your investment, but the investment value will increase faster. Just like land, NIB guns from older periods aren't being made any more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well im going to state that I have no money invested in to these. They were given to me by a very close friend who had them sitting in his basment for the last 25 years. So my first collection of SAA's have been a zero cost investment.Thanks everyone I will get more pictures this weekend!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
First of all, welcome to the Colt Forum tfurnerr;

Second, to acquire guns in the condition that those are in, (some good and some not so good) you have in your possession, four guns that will actually help you evaluate other Colt's as you come upon them. With those Colts, and with help from some people on this very forum who are some of the worlds most knowledgeable Colt collectors and appraisers on the planet. Bye the way, I meant what I said about the people on this forum.

The only thing I would recommend to you is to not try to clean them, or fix them in any way shape or form. Before you do anything to any of those Colts, ask the experts here first. Even a light cleaning with 0000 steel wool can ruin a valuable Colt in just seconds.

You have the start of a very good Colt collection, and for a fellow who's not yet thirty, you have some shining times ahead.

Bud

Well im going to state that I have no money invested in to these. They were given to me by a very close friend who had them sitting in his basment for the last 25 years. So my first collection of SAA's have been a zero cost investment.Thanks everyone I will get more pictures this weekend!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was wondering what you paid for them, since like me, you are under 30 and therefor seem not to know a lot about these. I have yet to buy one because I don't feel comfortable yet. Since your friend gave them to you, I gotta say, wow what a friend! One of the most well known, if not the most well known revolver of all time.....times 4? Can you share this friend with me? lol - nice guns and welcome to the forum

1 - 20 of 32 Posts