Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a really nice first generation Colt Single Action Army from circa 1910. The gun is in 85% to 90% overall condition and is excellent mechanically. I don't know what the original caliber was but it was rebarreled to .38 Special in the 1950's with a Colt barrel and cylinder. This is one very nice looking SAA.

I know an alteration like this reduces the collector value a great deal. Are reworked SAA's collectible in their own right? I can get this revolver for around $1500. My intent is to shoot it occassionally, but If I'm going to spend $1500 I would like it to have the potential to increase in value over time. Would I be better off finding a nice all original 95% 2nd generation gun?

Thanks for any replies,

Randy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Randy, with the wholesale cost around $1250.00 right now on new SAA I would say it is a bit much for a rechambered 1st generation. When I use to collect SAA's I stayed away from them. They escalated very little in price. I know 1st generation ones have increased dramatically since I sold my collection, the oldest I had was serial #262xx from 1875. Bought it for $1400.00 and sold it for $1800.00 when I stopped collecting 12 years ago. I think you can do better.
Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Albert. I will pass on this one. I'd really like to get a 1st generation gun in good original condition but am afraid I'm priced right out of that market at this time.

I've been looking for a 95% example of a 5.5" 2nd generation gun in .38 Special or .357. I know the .357's aren't as desireable but I don't reload and would like to shoot the gun ocassionally and the .38/.357's are economical.

I know where there is a very nice early 2nd gen. nickel .357 with the 7.5" barrel. I'd probably buy it but the price is high at $1800 and it doesn't come with the box. I know the very first SAA'a were all 7.5 inchers. What do ya'll think of the 7.5" SAA's?

Randy

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you can do better also. I have seen some 1st Geberation "shooters" in the $1500-1800 range. Even 2nd and 3rd in the $1200-1600 range. Just keep looking and be patient. I am partial to 4 3/4" myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like good advise Albert. I had a chance to buy a like new in the stagecoach box 5.5" blued .45 for $1500 last year. I sorry I passed on it but it wasn't a priority on my wanted list at that time. I'll keep looking.

Randy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up two Bisleys: 44-40 old reblue
for $1400.00 and a 44.spl
conversion with a 3rd gen cylinder for $800.00.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Randy, The reworked SAA will always be just that! A redone Colt and never going to be worth much. As was suggested, get a no finsh (but no pits) 1906 (the REAL smokeless powder date) or later all original SAA. You can shoot it and if you take care of it, it will appreciate as time passes. Good Luck and have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts