Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this 2004 Colt SAA 38 special with factory ivory grips. I really like the gun, but I'm not crazy about gold medallions. I'm considering having Nutmeg Sports swap the gold medallions for silver ones (probably older pre-war style). I'm wondering if the swap will have a noticeable effect on the gun's value.

I also noticed just recently that someone filed and contoured the front sight, which seems odd when the gun doesn't show any sign of being fired. The top edge has a patina. I assume that if the factory adjusted the gun to point of aim at a buyer's request, it would have finished the edge, right? Oh, well. If I shoot it, I hope it hits point of aim.

Here are some photos from the seller. He purchased the gun from a shop in 2009.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
OH BOY, first time i ever looked upon another COLT SAA 38SPL with lust. MIne is first week a second generation 5 1/2" SAA 38SPL with the most gorgeous holster wear you ever saw as it was a Wyoming cowboys gun for fifty years. It is simply beautiful and shoots like a million bucks, Hoppy.
I do really like your ivory stocked 4 3/4" 38SPL SAA, the first one i ever saw in the ferrous flesh...as it were.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Tim, I hated the gold medallions on some Python grips I stupidly sanded before I joined this forum to know better, and I called Nutmeg if their old style deep medallions would fit in the Python grips. they told me their's were smaller than my medallions and wouldn't fit. I bring this up not knowing the dimension of your medallions and this might be a moot point, though, since I'm talking Python here. Nice gun btw.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice Colt SAA. But is it not more simple to replace the grips and let these Original? OK, it will cost more than replace the medallions. But as a collector I hate altred revolvers and do not buy them.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I would keep the gold medallions. Colt put gold medallions on their best guns. Any change from factory original would hurt the value, plus you have to pay to have the work done. Colt factory ivory grips are great.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Very nice Colt SAA in .38 Special! In the early 80's I was a deputy sheriff and got a call about a drunk man with a gun staggering around a residential area. When I arrived to the scene, I saw the man in jeans and a flannel shirt, take something out from under his shirt and toss it under a nearby van. I took the man into custody, but found no gun until I looked under the van. What I found was a SAA with a 7-1/2" barrel in .38 Special. It was a bit beat-up (naturally) with some burred screw heads and light rust; I hated turning that sixgun into the property room after i booked the drunk!

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I don't like gold medallions either. However, in this case I would just leave them be. The gun came that way. Nice Colt SAA.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Your's is a beautiful gun. I would not change the medallions. It came that way and should remain so in my opinion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
leave your grips just the way colt made them. if you like the look, have nutmeg sports make you a pair of ivories with silver medallions for every day use.

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leave your grips just the way colt made them. if you like the look, have nutmeg sports make you a pair of ivories with silver medallions for every day use.
That's kind of funny, if you think about it. (And you have to do this with a Thurston Howell voice) "I ordered these custom ivory grips to replace my custom ivory grips." :) The seller told me he called Colt's a few weeks back, and they verified over the phone that it was shipped with the ivory grips. I called Archives on Thursday and was told they couldn't determine that information from the serial number. The seller may have embellished. :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's kind of funny, if you think about it. (And you have to do this with a Thurston Howell voice) "I ordered these custom ivory grips to replace my custom ivory grips." :) The seller told me he called Colt's a few weeks back, and they verified over the phone that it was shipped with the ivory grips. I called Archives on Thursday and was told they couldn't determine that information from the serial number. The seller may have embellished. :)
EMBELLISHED....I am shocked I tell you, SHOCKED, Hoppy !!!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
That's a beautiful SAA Hoppy and the ivory stocks set it off nicely. IMHO the medallions are lost while absorbing the totality of the gun. I like it.

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, guys, for all the nice comments.

I just pulled the grips off the gun. They are marked "Hand Crafted for Colt Firearms" on the backs. Would factory grips be marked like that, or is it a sign they're aftermarket? If they're aftermarket, those nasty gold medallions are gone! :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thanks, guys, for all the nice comments.

I just pulled the grips off the gun. They are marked "Hand Crafted for Colt Firearms" on the backs. Would factory grips be marked like that, or is it a sign they're aftermarket? If they're aftermarket, those nasty gold medallions are gone! :)
I DO BELIEVE they were made upon orders by COLT to be put on your 38 pistol at the factory before shipping. That makes 'em factory as far as I can see, GEN-YOU-WINE OEM equipment.
The stag stocks on my COLT NF 7 1/2"45COLT are unmarked but on the end of the gunbox along with the other markings are a bold-in-black ST.

·
Premium Member
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I DO BELIEVE they were made upon orders by COLT to be put on your 38 pistol at the factory before shipping. That makes 'em factory as far as I can see, GEN-YOU-WINE OEM equipment.
The stag stocks on my COLT NF 7 1/2"45COLT are unmarked but on the end of the gunbox along with the other markings are a bold-in-black ST.
Unfortunately, the outer sleeve of my box, which doesn't indicate "ivory", is not original. It is off by six serial numbers (ends in 08 whereas my gun ends in 02). Otherwise, everything else matches the gun (caliber, finish, barrel length). I assume I'll have to order a letter to know for certain. The seller asked Colt's to send me a new outer sleeve with correct serial number, which they agreed to do. Here are a couple of new photos.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
On another thread I had said I really liked how the hidden screw was on the left side since I'm left handed. I wondered out loud why would Colt do that. I think Jim Martin said Colt outsourced some of their grips from someone and he put the screw on the right which was really bizarre since 90% of people ( the boring ones, haha!) are right handed. I'm straining my memory on that one.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Beautiful gun!! I recently purchased an 1895 SAA and the previous owner put these hideous fake stag grips on it. I took them off, traced them, made my own grips, and inlayed a couple 1895 Indian Head Pennies into them! It's your gun. Make it your own! Change the medallions, and if you ever sell it change them back!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts