Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took out this recently acquired unfired 2006 Colt SAA in .44-40 for it's first range session. Using 200gr lead RNFN bullets and Unique and 700X powders, both loads shot consistent groups 4 inches high at 50 feet with the windage spot on. If only it had the tall front sight! I will tweak these loads a little to see if I can lower the bullet impact. I also plan on trying both Trailboss and Universal Clays powders. All in all, I was very happy with results of this shooting session.

colt saa.jpg

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My sheriff's model shoots 44spl high with 240 gr bullets. I need to try a lighter bullet at a higher velocity. I have not shot the 44wcf cylinder. DSCN0676.JPG I think this one should have a taller front sight and I think Colt used this height to accommodate both calibers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just curious, what size bullet do you reload with? Nice Colt!

Reactions: lounick

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Fifty feet is only 16.66 yards. Originally those 7 1/2" barrels were designed to hit a horse much farther out. Try 25 or 50 yards. I am not a active shooter anymore but years ago I did the majority of my sighting in at 25 yards. Now, I realize most interest today is for defensive shooting popularly thought to be at hand shaking distance or a whopping seven yards but who carry's a 7 1/2" belly gun? I would see where it hits POA much farther out and compensate for trajectory.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use 8.2 of Unique with a 200 grain flat tip cowboy bullet. The slower the bullet goes the higher it hits. 8.2 hits good in my Colt Frontier Sixshooter 4" 3/4" and my Winchester 1873 Sporter with 24" barrel. ABOUT a factory period load. About 925 fps pistol ,1175fps rifle.    9 grains may put you right on. Taffin Tests the .44-40

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fifty feet is only 16.66 yards. Originally those 7 1/2" barrels were designed to hit a horse much farther out. Try 25 or 50 yards. I am not a active shooter anymore but years ago I did the majority of my sighting in at 25 yards. Now, I realize most interest today is for defensive shooting popularly thought to be at hand shaking distance or a whopping seven yards but who carry's a 7 1/2" belly gun? I would see where it hits POA much farther out and compensate for trajectory.
Most of my shooting all these years have been at indoor ranges at 50 feet. I cut my shooting teeth on Bullseye shooting, and rarely had the need to shoot beyond that. I do have limited access to longer indoor ranges and some outdoor ones as well, but lately it's been a cold SOB up here on the frozen tundra. May have to try some longer distant shooting when it warms up.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 8.2 of Unique with a 200 grain flat tip cowboy bullet. The slower the bullet goes the higher it hits. 8.2 hits good in my Colt Frontier Sixshooter 4" 3/4" and my Winchester 1873 Sporter with 24" barrel. ABOUT a factory period load. About 925 fps pistol ,1175fps rifle.    9 grains may put you right on. Taffin Tests the .44-40
I am definitely going to increase the 7.5 Unique I tried out, and may try 8.5 of Unique. I have an 1970 Lyman Reloading book that shows a max of 10.9 grains of Unique for just under 1100 FPS with a 205gr lead bullet. That is too hot for me and I probably wouldn't go over 9.0 grains of Unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts