Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping that some of the vast knowledge I've seen here will help me figure out this SAA.
I called Colt & they say this serial # was built in 1898. I thought 44SPL came out in 1907? It has (it appears) a Bisley hammer, long grip & wide trigger. Wikki says that Bisley's were made from 1894 -1915 & that the ones made after serial number 161376 were stamped Bisley Model on the left side of the barrel. The Bisley also makes no mention of a 44SPL, only the 44-40. The same serial number is on the butt as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gordie
PS sorry for the crappy pics. The barrel is stamped "Colt Single Action Army 44 Special"

1898 Colt SAA 016.jpg 1898 Colt SAA 007.jpg 1898 Colt SAA 006.jpg 1898 Colt SAA 010.jpg 1898 Colt SAA 009.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
The book I have lists 1913 as the year the Smith and Wesson Special .44 Was introduced. it also lists 1897 as the first year for the standard Bisley frame, also it states January 1913 as the last major production of the Bisley with the latest shipment being in 1919. It appears someone along the line did some Smithing on it in MHO

·
Registered
512 Posts
Definitely a barrel change at least. If it checks out OK by a gunsmith,it should be a great shooter. The neat part is,since the serial # of the frame is in the antique range, you can sell it directly to a buyer in most states,without going thru an FFL.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Right. just a good old rebarreled/rechambered Bisley. The markings are partially missing on the frame and someone dropped it or pistol whipped someone once and bent the trigger guard that has been reshaped almost back to normal. Great grips and a fantastic shooter. I'd love to own that gun.
Smokehaus, the triplelock S&W came out in 1908 or so, In .44 Special. I might be wrong exactly but 1913 is way to late.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Easy question to answer, as a couple of others already have...... the bbl & cyl have been replaced with 2nd generation ones. i agree, it should be a great shooter!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wyatt, I was referencing the Colt Company gun only. Guess I should of phrased it that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are awesome! I kinda suspected that might be the case but I don't know much about the SAA's. I'd love to give it a good home if I can buy it right. Any ideas as to value.
Thanks much, Gordie
It's local so I would like to shoot it first. Is store bought OK or should I use some light loads.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Wyatt, I was referencing the Colt Company gun only. Guess I should of phrased it that way.
Gotcha, Smokehaus.
Gordie, I don't know a universal real world value on it nowadays with dipping prices, but IF I had the money in hand and saw it fo4 $1000 -$1200, I'd sure be thinking hard about it. that bent trigger guard is turnoff for me, though.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Agree with Wyatt on the trigger guard...really gives it wierd appearance. Hopefully member Jim Martin and some of our more creative smith's will see this thread. Will be interesting to see if there are any options to reshape it back to original.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Agree with Wyatt on the trigger guard...really gives it wierd appearance. Hopefully member Jim Martin and some of our more creative smith's will see this thread. Will be interesting to see if there are any options to reshape it back to original.
To answer your question,it wouldn't be easy but yes it could be re-shaped but then it would have to be re-blued & given the fact of the bbl.& cyl. already being changed it wouldn't hurt the value.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Dismount the internals and Trigger...get a bag of Birdshot, set that Bag on a stount Bench, have someone hold the Frame sans Trigger and so on, so the Frame is Trigger Bow 'down' on the Bag, Frame perfectly vertical it's bearing with it's long axis of course horizontal...elect a round Mandril or Bar of Brass or Bronze, or wrap a Steel Bar in sheet Brass or Sheet Copper, hold it through the Bow with one hand, hold it perfectly horizontally of course, and, tap it ( the Bar or stout Rod ) smartly with a Hammer, to transmit it's influence to the Bow, and, carefully bring or 'massage' the Bow back to it's original contour then, with really very little work...and, with possibly no need of a re-finish, even having a layer of Leather, between the Bow and Bar if need be, since this would likely make no or next to no wear on the contacting areas.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I once tradedfor a refinished 1915 SAA with a dramatically caved in trigger guard. Eddie Janis fixed it for $100. Janis, ever the perfectionist, was almost apologetic that it wasn't exactly right afterwards but that it was the best he could do without welding. I thought it was perfect!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The owner has given me permission to shoot it this weekend so hopefully all will go well.
I'm really looking forward to shooting the real thing, I shot an ubertti 45 colt cattleman a while back & it was great fun but had major timing problems so I passed on buying it.
Thanks again for all your great help sorting this out.
Gordie

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Dismount the internals and Trigger...get a bag of Birdshot, set that Bag on a stount Bench, have someone hold the Frame sans Trigger and so on, so the Frame is Trigger Bow 'down' on the Bag, Frame perfectly vertical it's bearing with it's long axis of course horizontal...elect a round Mandril or Bar of Brass or Bronze, or wrap a Steel Bar in sheet Brass or Sheet Copper, hold it through the Bow with one hand, hold it perfectly horizontally of course, and, tap it ( the Bar or stout Rod ) smartly with a Hammer, to transmit it's influence to the Bow, and, carefully bring or 'massage' the Bow back to it's original contour then, with really very little work...and, with possibly no need of a re-finish, even having a layer of Leather, between the Bow and Bar if need be, since this would likely make no or next to no wear on the contacting areas.
I would've used almost the same method,the reason for the heat was there are 2 bends in the trigger guard,if you'll look closely @ the bottom rear of the guard you'll see a difference in the gap behind the trigger towards the bottom & the guard,the bottom rear radius of the trigger guard was moved backwards from the front impact & I don't know whether it could be moved forward w/out putting some heat on it just before working on the front bend.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I'd offer to buy the gun but complain about the trigger guard and ask for a discount because of it, then see what Jim Martin would charge to fix it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A common re-barrel/cyl. Colt started marking the barrels
'Colt Single Action Army' (then the cartridge) around 1929. Dropping the
ie; 45 Colt, 38 WCF, 32 WCF etc. If you see that on earlier than
1928, it is a definite re-barrel and or cyl.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts