Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Well I decided to keep the nickeled over 45 SAA. I noticed the cylinder has a little play. What causes this and are there parts availble to fix it so I can shoot at and have a little fun? I am mechaically inclined. Just need some insight before I take it apart.
Thanks for your time

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
It has everything to do with your definition of a "little play". If you are talking about the amount of rotation when cylinder is in battery alignment, there has to be a "little play" to allow the bolt (cylinder stop) to do its job entering the slot(s) on the cylinder. My 'little play' here is a few thousandths inch. If your measurement of rotation at the outer edge of the cylinder is something like 1/32" that's a bit much but not dangerous to shoot. You should find the reason for that rotational play which may be at the cylinder bolt or base pin (center pin) wear.

If your 'little play' is end-play or end shake you need to be thinking about the cylinder to barrel gap (CB gap). Ideally, like new it is .003" or less but up to around .010" is tolerable.

If you are 'mechanically inclined' you would benefit by some hands-on examination of your gun and discussion with someone who is knowledgeable on Colt revolvers..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I'm talking about rotational play, Just abou 1/32" of rotation. Looking down barrel (unloaded of course) you can see the cylinder wall expose itself

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
If it will help to put your mind at ease, I checked my 1878 7 1/2" SAA .45. It's an old brown gun but with EXC bore. I scribed a mark on the cylinder turned each direction which measured as close as I can measure, 1/32". It is the 'loosest' one I have and I submit it probably was fired thousands of rounds to get that way and quite a few since it got to 1/32".

I also checked a few others plus a couple New Service .45s and found most of them about half that amount of play (guestimated without scribing). A couple of those checked were guns in fine condition.

If you are undecided, I suggest you do some checking, find where your looseness it and order some parts. All minor parts affecting rotational wear are available and not very expensive. By replacing them all you still probably have a bit of wear in the cylinder notches but the rotational play can probably be got down to half what it is now.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You are welcome. I know Eddie & have shot with him before he bought his business, he's a great guy & I know him to be honest.
Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts