Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a chance to buy a SAA .45. I know little to nothing about value and grading. 4.5" barrel, case harding. Some holster wear on the barrel end. A light scratch on the left side of barrel. Cylinder rod looks beat up a little. The cylinder itself looks used. The hammer looks good. Rose wood grips, after market I think. Manufacture date is july2.72- Jan19.75. Everything works and is good to go. Just that I have to come up with a price. It is a good older friend selling and I want to give a fair price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
colt copys can look alot like colts.. it may be only a 250 dolalr gun.. be carefull. take it to the biggest gun store in your area.. the amount they will give you for it is wholesale.. the amount they will sell it for you on consignment is retail.. about halfway inbetween is a fair amount to pay.. i dont like the idea of the worked over pin.. this could mean its binding up from problems after shootng and a real pain.. a pliers is needed to get the pin out when its good and dirty. this the rod in bad condition.. 800 dollars is as much as a used car. and you now what happens when you buy a car off the street or even a friend that is in unkown condition.. gun work is expnesive expecially on colts..its much better to get on ready to go that needs no work.. good luck dave...

·
Registered
48 Posts
colt copys can look alot like colts.. it may be only a 250 dolalr gun.. be carefull. take it to the biggest gun store in your area.. the amount they will give you for it is wholesale.. the amount they will sell it for you on consignment is retail.. about halfway inbetween is a fair amount to pay.. i dont like the idea of the worked over pin.. this could mean its binding up from problems after shootng and a real pain.. a pliers is needed to get the pin out when its good and dirty. this the rod in bad condition.. 800 dollars is as much as a used car. and you now what happens when you buy a car off the street or even a friend that is in unkown condition.. gun work is expnesive expecially on colts..its much better to get on ready to go that needs no work.. good luck dave...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I have reread the post and Dave's insightful reply I have to agree with him. I ASSUMED it was a Colt SAA and for some reason a 3rd generation. See what happens when you assume. I should have listned to my mother more often.
A center pin can be replaced easily. Also, I missed the two line patent dates which of course are not the manuf. dates. We need more info please. Now, wheres my coffee??

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Z zod

That serial number dates to an early second generation model made in 1957. That gun in pristine 100% could bring upwards of $2000, in the condition you discribe, it could be worth up to $1000 with the caveat emptor from dave and Albert Shear, so make darn sure it is a Colt. Maybe he would take less since you say he is a good older friend of yours and either side wants to come out OK on the deal. In the final analysis, your the one that has to decide what it's worth to you and are you looking for a collection piece or a shooter. Personally I would pay about $800 if I could just find another $300 around here somewhere, Oh well and alas. The VP in the triangle are just proof marks. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-15-2003).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
If they make clone Colts with Colt single action army .45 down the left side of the barrel I am in trouble. I know little to nothing about Colt SAA. The date on the side under the cyl. was what I posted. Serial # is 97**SA. The cyl. has the colt embelem on loading side. The trigger area has a 5 on right side, A ubside down triangle with VP in the triangle forward of the trigger and a J on the left side behind the trigger. The Cyl. pin looks like someone used a needle nose to pul it out. It is marked but not damaged. I just noticed those markings. The loading swingout "door" has 705 on it. I am scratching my head on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks very much D-back. I am just a lil fuzzy. The serial dates to 57', but it also has July 2 72 - Jan 19 75. Could that be?

·
Registered
48 Posts
you need to get some help with someone who knows guns. again take it to a large well known gunshop talk to the gunsmith and ask what it is worth.. im not familiar with 2nd generation guns, but there are a lot of sharks out there tryinhg to unload "shooters" that they got burned on..replaced barrels, replaced hammers, replaced cylinders, bad smith work, you name it.. i have a 1926 colt with matching serial numbers except gate, for sale for 1700. i get several crooks in a year trying to do me out of it.. the last guy had a pre 1900 colt, a luger, and something else to trade that sounded expensive.. all third rate stuff worth about 1000 bucks max.. i run a pawn shop and get cheated three times EVERY DAY. i get a bang out of the third rate crooks who nail hundreds of small buisinesses with credit card machines for 4 times what they are worth.. i punch almost everything up i can on ebay or orion blue books, and still get nailed with tvs that shut down an hour after theyv been on, small refrigeratores that wont shut off, stolen goods etc.. .. it doesnt matter becouse the next guy pays for it.. its too bad, its all in the averages, but you are making a one time purchase, so take your time.. my son was in a big hurry to buy his first car so noone else would get it.. tranny whent out in a week.. probably had some kind of junk in it to get it a few more miles.
. he wouldnt listen to me to get it checked by a good shop.. if you cant arfford the apraisal, or take the time to check it out and the guy has to get back on the bus or whatever excuse he has so you cant get it looked at,... definitly pass on the deal, your being scammed... good luck dave....

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Zav, Good advice on the 800.00 price. I collect SAAs so am a little savvy on the $. Even if a "parts" gun, if the parts are all Colt, the sum total worth of the parts is going to be equal the price. And, 800.00 is not bad for a Colt SAA shooter. What is your friend asking?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zavozod:
Thanks very much D-back. I am just a lil fuzzy. The serial dates to 57', but it also has July 2 72 - Jan 19 75. Could that be?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These are the two line patent dates. They refer to 1872 and 1875.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts