Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
My guess is assembly numbers. But I'd also guess there aint no case color to be seen. What I do "see" is some one took the gun apart and put a torch on the frame to get "case" colors. Trigger/bolt spring is broken or something else is screwed up internally.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Didn't realize it was a gun the OP was selling. As I said prior some interesting "case colors".

OP has 4 posts here. His definition on what "works" on a SAA and what we know works aint likely all the same.
Easy enough to see a few things aren't "right" on that gun.

I know the gun by serial number. Didn't look that way last time it was for sale on the Internet.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? Yahoody...??? lol, this has been in my private collection for years, Im in Spokane, WA...... I think your really confused

OK then. Good luck on the sale! Another Colt same vintage as yours with a serial # of 1234XX was floating around on Cabella's some time ago. Don't remember the last 2 digits specifically but it was a 4 3/4", 45 similar condition on the finish. Have to assume that one wasn't yours.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? Yahoody...??? lol, this has been in my private collection for years, Im in Spokane, WA...... I think your really confused
WOW! A newcomer to the forum, with quite an attitude! You asked for advice. How about treating a long time member of this forum with a little RESPECT?Sure sounds like you have something to hide, as quick as you jump to the defensive!!! Indeed, a search of this specific serial number, 123493 does "suggest" a previous connection, perhaps sale, to Cabela's. The OP ought to thank his lucky stars that this SAA revolver is at $2850 on Gunbroker. It has already been pointed out the numerous problems with this SAA revolver. It is obvious that the wear on the frame is not commensurate with that of the rest of the gun, nor does the case colouring resemble anything near that of factory original. I recall that Colt SAA 123456, a Frontier Six Shooter, was displayed on this forum several years ago. A beautiful SAA of the same vintage. Clearly does not resemble the "blow torch", or other similar methodology, used to create the case colouring in this fine specimen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MRCVS, YOU need to get a piece of tail bud! If you're keeping track of Cabela's inventory and have a mental note of SN#'s form years ago you need a girlfriend or...... something. Respect is not tearing something apart that was NOT the question! I asked a simple question and got a simple response by Pointman.. Then the trolls got involved! I found out the gun is broke..IT IS NOT, been blow torched... IT HAS NOT.... and it's at Cabela's! Come up with cool story next time. mrcvs I have nothing to hide

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi There,

7.62mman said:
I found out the gun is broke..IT IS NOT,...
I think you are not appreciating the information the more
experienced are trying to relate and point out some problems
you may or may not be aware of.

The trigger does appear to have a problem. Your trigger looks
like this:

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

And a correct, undamaged trigger will look like this:

Metal

As you can see, your trigger is farther forward in the
trigger bow window. This is a symptom of a trigger
that has had the upper portion (sear) broken off. When
the trigger has the upper portion broken off, it allows
the trigger to pivot farther to engage the notches on
the hammer. Therefore, the trigger end up farther
forward in the trigger bow window.

This is usually the result of pulling the trigger when the
hammer is on one of the "safety" notches (first or second).
The top of the trigger is very thin at that point and being
fairly hard, it can snap clean. Sometimes, the captive part
of the hammer notch is broken too. Removal and inspection
will ascertain the extent of the damage.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

·
Registered
508 Posts
MRCVS, YOU need to get a piece of tail bud! If you're keeping track of Cabela's inventory and have a mental note of SN#'s form years ago you need a girlfriend or...... something.
For some of us here, Colts are like old girlfriends; just because she was with you years ago, doesn't mean you have forgotten her pleasantries.

mrcvs, you should volunteer for a sex study. According to this fellow, your perusals of Cabela's Colt inventory act as an aphrodisiac--all that "tail" you seem to need. A correlation would certainly lead to Colt ramping up production and to sky-rocketing sales!

ps--If you have no time for a full-blown study, at least make time for yourself to entertain a full length "piece of tail"--not the suggested "tail bud." I've heard that tail buds can excite a fellow, but, . . .why not enjoy it all!

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Pretty clear I won't be buying that gun. But wasn't trying to rain on 7.62's sale. Thought he was buying in the OP not selling. My bad. But I am a sucker for pictures so I stopped reading.

Obviously the seller isn't very well educated on the SAA. So he asked questions. Webb was gracious enough to attempt that explanation. Bet Webb could have given some thought as to the case colors as well.

I've certainly made mistakes before. I don't have a photographic memory but had once wanted to buy 1234XX in a .45, 4 3/4. and decided not to. My 2nd thought once I realized it was the seller asking for info was he was simply pimping his own auction....but I am an admittedly, a rather cynical fellow when I see a dealer selling 50+ guns from his own "collection".

May be not the most genteel language. I written worse. But then it was his gun and sell we were commenting on in a most unflattering manner. I get that. Might be wrong on the serial number but I'd stand behind my lock works and finish comments in person from the photos alone. Closer inspection might well prove me wrong.

If the OP is lucky he'll hit $3000. I did recognize a couple of the current bidders.

"
Up for auction and out of a private collection is a very nice Colt Single Action Army .45 long colt serial number #123493. Still has original case colored and finish is correct for how old the gun is! Black powder cartridges only. What you see is what you get. PLEASE VIEW ALL PICS BEFORE BIDDING."

It's the Internet.
Caveat Emptor

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
In fairness to the OP you guys know that lots of people are pretty thin skinned when someone rains on their parade. I've been around here long enough to see it happen several times. In truth, I led the bidding on this one for a while until my bid was broken yesterday. So if you guys thought some nut had bid too much it was me. :) I see what y'all see but I don't believe it's been "torched"....can't explain why the shadows of the case colors remain but to me it appears to be a pretty sharp old single action that has just browned out but the edges and corners are sharp and the grips are sharp. Broken trigger sear or safety notch is happening there but that is something that can be fixed pretty easily and if I get a mind to bid more I'll get it taken care of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To all,

I am still learning here and 'yes' I do know a-thing or two about metals but I did not initially catch the frame coloring. Trigger, yes but not the coloring, had to go back and look closer at the pictures on gunbroker, to 'see'. Thanks for pointing that out and stating the possible actions for its production. To me looking at and old firearm is just looking at the old firearm for what I can accept, not really scrutinizing the intimidate details. That happens after it gets home, sometimes an issue. Now, my questions for knowledge sake. Where the soft metal frames of the 1st gen revolvers heat-treated, in anyway? If yes, then the torching would definitely have some affects on the integrity of such frame, right? Would its affect be as bad as doing the same thing to a modern -- known heat-treated smokeless variant gun?

PS - I know the original case-coloring process was a form of heat-treatment unlike todays replica colors.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.