Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I am considering my first Bisley and would appreciate any input regarding current market value. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo to post at this time. It is an early 1900s example with a 5.5 barrel in 32-20. The revolver is all matching and original with a very good bore. It locks up tight with correct timing so their are no function issues. The original finish has faded to mostly patina with traces of bluing in the protected areas. Thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go for it.
Colt made more 32WCF Bisleys than any other caliber choice, my 5 1/2" shoots great.
My 32WCF do have large bores, like .313 so may not stabilize .311 factory ammo,

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
A 10% finish Bisley in .32-20 is about the low end of the range of Colt single actions. I would try to get it for $500.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
A 10% finish Bisley in .32-20 is about the low end of the range of Colt single actions. I would try to get it for $500.
I would think that $500 these days might be wishful thinking, but, having said that, this one wouldn't be worth much more than that. Going for it, well, it IS a Colt SAA! Going against it, just about everything else. It has no condition, it is chambered in an unpopular Cartridge, it contains the least popular of the common barrel lengths, it isn't an antique, and it is a Bisley model. (Did I miss anything?) I'd offer $500 and maybe go as high as $700 if I really wanted it. But some folks have stuck in their head that because it is a Colt Single Action Army revolver, it can't be worth less than 4 figures.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Better yet, maybe as azshot said, try and get it for $500 but be prepared to pay $600 - $700. Might be better to start negotiating at $400...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Gentlemen - with all due respect, I would buy every single all original, non-refinished Bisley you brought me for $500 with the same speed I would buy every single Original, non-refinished King Cobra you care to sell me for $600 and in both instances feel very confident I would double my money any day of the week on Gunbroker. Your estimates are simply not reflective of current market conditions.

Do I think King Cobras “should” sell for$1200? I think that is silly. But my opinion is irrelevant on that point.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
That's what I was saying, start around $500, don't go too much more. Internet people say all the time, "I'll buy every one for $xxx that you show me!". Do it. Maybe the OP will tell you where it is and you can go buy it, if he doesn't. You can show us.

It's a fools errand to buy poor guns for high prices. I only buy ratty guns if they're very cheap. My $38-40 Bisley was priced at $1500 20 something years ago. Then the seller got real, and I ended up paying $385. Some may buy all the poor ones high, and have a collection of ratty guns they paid high for. Then wonder why it's so hard to sell them one day. Not me. But I'm not a Gunbroker flipper, trying to foist off junk to newbies.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I prefer the Bisley to the SAA. From the above description I would say, $1,200.00 might be a realistic price. True, a Bisley in .32 WCF with a 5.5" barrel is a more common variety, but not the least desireable in my opinion. I recently saw a no finish 7.5" Bisley made in 1897, (yes, I know antique will bring a bit more) in .41 Colt for sale for $2,295.00. I consider a .41 of lesser value than a .32 WCF, but that's just me. Bye the way, that's the least expensive Bisley I currently know of for sale, unless someone here has one for less.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I've passed on many rusty, 0 finish Bisleys over the years. And I love Bisleys! I'd rather pay $1600 for a really nice one, than $1400 for a crappy one. The bottom guns need to be priced so: rock bottom

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You all are confusing asking price with sale price. All the examples given above are asking prices. Folks can ask whatever they want to for a particular revolver but a sales price represents the true value of an object, generally.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all are confusing asking price with sale price. All the examples given above are asking prices. Folks can ask whatever they want to for a particular revolver but a sales price represents the true value of an object, generally.
Correct. I am looking for advice from collectors who can ballpark a fair market value based on the description provide in my original post.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Last spring I paid $1200 for a 32-20, 5.5" Bisley; maybe somewhat better finish than yours but with a weird rear sight modification. I can hit the target though--if I stand close enough.

IMG_3913.jpg

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Whats thbe value of my 38-40 Bisley, I bought it years ago $ 2500

Hans,

I would start a separate thread for this, but I would guess around $3500. Maybe more! Yours has tons more going for it than the subject matter of this post. Yours has condition (!), the most desirable standard barrel length, of 4 3/4", it is chambered in a more desirable calibre (.38-40), and the shipping destination (Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Co) is envious.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I've passed on many rusty, 0 finish Bisleys over the years. And I love Bisleys! I'd rather pay $1600 for a really nice one, than $1400 for a crappy one. The bottom guns need to be priced so: rock bottom
It depends on whether the gun the OP is looking at is rusty and crappy. There are a lot of beautiful, no-finish guns out there with crisp actions and nice bores. If the OP 's gun in question meets those criteria, I'm thinking $1,200.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hans,

I would start a separate thread for this, but I would guess around $3500. Maybe more! Yours has tons more going for it than the subject matter of this post. Yours has condition (!), the most desirable standard barrel length, of 4 3/4", it is chambered in a more desirable calibre (.38-40), and the shipping destination (Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Co) is envious.
I bought it 2002 the Colt letter came 2008, still a Cathy Hoyt letter. I will start a separat thread

1 - 19 of 19 Posts