Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have not been on here for a while, but looking for help, before I spend the money for a Colt letter. I have a SAA Sheriffs model, on a black powder frame. I know these are scarce but were made, I think on special order. I will try to post photos. Please understand that I have been collecting and shooting these things for more years than I care to admit, and I can usually spot a fake. But I do not claim to be an expert. Everything looks very good on this one, except for the bore. The bore is very good, but has the wide lands, which does not seem right (see photos). Helpful comments would be appreciated.
IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm sorry I'm to new at the recognition of the barrels right or wrong but that is a beautiful pistol there.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Perhaps a couple close up, in focus, photos of where the ejector housing would fit may help. No expert here, but I don't like the color of the barrel nor the brown color next to the frame. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Hi, I have not been on here for a while, but looking for help, before I spend the money for a Colt letter. I have a SAA Sheriffs model, on a black powder frame. I know these are scarce but were made, I think on special order. I will try to post photos. Please understand that I have been collecting and shooting these things for more years than I care to admit, and I can usually spot a fake. But I do not claim to be an expert. Everything looks very good on this one, except for the bore. The bore is very good, but has the wide lands, which does not seem right (see photos). Helpful comments would be appreciated.
View attachment 648029 View attachment 648031 View attachment 648033 View attachment 648035 View attachment 648037
No, that bore does not look right. Notice too the 7 lands and grooves, which didn’t happen on 45’s. The serial numbers don’t look right, and neither does the “45 Cal” on TG. The cylinder flutes are not period, and look more like 1960’s. The front of the trigger guard, the section bearing the SN, looks very thick.

This was an effort to duplicate a scalloped frame, starting with a standard ejector frame.

Fake all the way. Run!!

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
No, that bore does not look right. Notice too the 7 lands and grooves, which didn’t happen on 45’s. The serial numbers don’t look right, and neither does the “45 Cal” on TG. The cylinder flutes are not period, and look more like 1960’s. The front of the trigger guard, the section bearing the SN, looks very thick.

This was an effort to duplicate a scalloped frame, starting with a standard ejector frame.

Fake all the way. Run!!
I would not buy a 1st gen Colt without consulting Victorio. (if he would do so)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope this reply goes through,
To clarify, I own this gun, purchased it about ten years ago. Just trying to see what I have.
The serial numbers all match, including the cylinder, and they are of the same stamping type, which looks to me like original. Old style stamping and matching. This in itself is almost impossible to match. The barrel is in question and I appreciate the comments. I will try to post more photos of the front of frame where the cylinder pin is. Thanks, cal

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Just me, but if I bought a what was supposed to be a legit Sheriffs model, I'd make sure it lettered before spending a cent. You've owned the gun 10 years. Why not a call to Colt during that time to make sure?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Just me, but if I bought a what was supposed to be a legit Sheriffs model, I'd make sure it lettered before spending a cent. You've owned the gun 10 years. Why not a call to Colt during that time to make sure?

I was thinking the same. If I was going to fake a Sheriff’s Model, for sure, I would find a frame that fit the serial number range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for comments. Most were helpful. Just to respond to several. Yes, I bought it without having it verified, and I have never tried to do so. This is because I did not buy it thinking it was an original Sherrif. In fact I did not think so, and still do not think so. I bought it for a decent price for what it was, an unknown, but cool gun, and the guy did not claim it to be an original Sherrif. It just occured to me recently to try to get some more info on it, which is what I am doing. As for the date it was made. I am and was aware that it is too early for the Sherriff production. This does not mean that Colt did not make any earlier by special order. They would make about any configuration you wanted. The Grips I am sure are Colt and fit perfectly. I am quite sure they are original, which indicates the gun may have been a special order. The front sight is in the correct position, or at least it is in exactly the same position as an 1880s vinitage 7 1/2" that I have. It may appear to be too far back because of the short barrel. I am posting more photos of the front as requested. Again, I am not claiming the gun to be original and I am not trying to sell it. I am just looking for info on what I
still think is an interesting gun. Cheers, IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Gee, it is quite obvious that the boss for the ejector housing has been removed from the frame. A correct Sheriff's frame will have the same contours on each side of the frame. Glad you bought it because you liked it. Hope all this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts