Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt SAA Blued (Beautifully Case Hardened) .45 5 1/2 barrel >> Need help on value...

Is $1275 a fair price for an early generation three SAA .45 with a 5 1/2 barrel. The revolver comes with original box and paperwork. Only 5 rounds have been shot down range. It's been a safe queen for the most part. Sorry for the poor quality pic, but it's the only one I have. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It's an average price.

Make certain everything mates up and is tight, overall - look at the screw holes for dishing - look at the edges for rounding and the lettering for crispness.

You should be able to run a finger across all edges and not feel any anomalies.

There are those that will say that the Third Generation guns all had problems, but early ones were pretty nice overall - at least mine are - and unfortunately, there's no serial number range that's known to be one to be wary of.

Just really 'look' at the piece, before you pull out your wallet - and you can always offer less - say somewhere around $1000 as a base point.

Good Luck!

And if you do get it - shoot it!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It may have had only 5 rounds fired through it, but it has been handled quite a bit; look at the slight drag line and rotational scratches on the cylinder. I also agree that the case colours are ugly. Its an early 3rd gen. IMO generally one of the poorest quality SAAs out of the box that Colt produced. Even here in CA I'd pass unless I could get the price down under $1,000.00. Keep looking, you'll find the one that you know is right for you.

Best regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.