Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Too many 'maybes' to be of much interest, but it makes one wonder how many originals might you suppose survived those years?

Boxes of the era were cheaply-made and designed to hold the weapon and keep it separate, and from being jostled against others in the crate they were shipped in - not to carefully conserved and become collectable as they have, today.

Back then - folks bought the piece, holstered it, carried it and shot it - and all without a need for Renaissance Wax and a pillow to rest it on.

What Colt 'should' do, is to replicate it like S&W did for the Schofields they shipped without the display case - it'd make for a nice display item.

Being made of modern paper/cardboard, they wouldn't cause the angst that the fakes do, yet being 'Colt-Made' folks would accept them.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
I think it was on gunsamerica before and it wasn't for sale...they were just trying to get information about it but now they have a price on it.

I do know of a turn of the century 45 x 7-1/2" blue smoothbore that came out of England over 20 years ago that an American arms dealer brought back that was totally legit and lettered all the way. A friend of mine was interested in it but it was nearly $30K at the time which would be a drop in the bucket for it now, but it had the vast majority of the original blue and case colors still on it. I'm with CJS57.....if it's a new box someone sure did a good job "distressing" it. If you own the gun the box is cheap...but I don't need any $3000 pieces of pasteboard laying around my house....I'd probably find my grandson coloring on it!

Reactions: Hopalong
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.