Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a SAA that I have which according to the serial # was made in 1957. The loading gate and cylinder do not have the same # as the serial # Is that common or does that mean they are not original to the gun? The three digit #'s do match on the loading gate and cylinder. Also the gun is in what I would consider 75% condition and there has been some attempt by someone to repair the bbl from rust. I want to have it refurbished and a Doug Turnbull restoration would be nice however I doubt I would ever get my money out of it if I had to sell in the future. Your thoughts on the subject and an answer to the question would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Lights (edited 05-29-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Lights; you are fine! On the early 2nd Gen. SAAs,this "different number",was the assembly number,and appeared on BOTH the loading gate and the face of cyl. Later 2nd Gens had part of the serial # on the cylinder. This number will appear,on the rear of frame(hidden by grip strap) on the early 2nd gens. also.

Not having seen your gun,I don't know its condition-but-be sitting down when you get the Turnbull estimate! Magnificent work,but as you said,doubt if you'd ever get your$$$ out of the gun,when you sell it(unless you originally got the gun for nothing,originally).

Hey,does Colt still factory refinish SAA's???? Have never seen it discussed here.

Hope this helps a little. Bud

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rather than spend money on a refinish and have less value in the end,buy a better original condition gun with that same amount and make an investment rather than messing up an honest gun.I for one appreciate the "USED" guns that show honest wear and HATE the refinished phonies.Which would you rather have,a Babe Ruth glove that he actually used or one taken from his closet that he never used??Most unused items are those that the owner DIDN'T LIKE.

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by modoc:
Rather than spend money on a refinish and have less value in the end,buy a better original condition gun with that same amount and make an investment rather than messing up an honest gun.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, however someone has made an attempt to repair some rust spots on the barrel and has done a terrible job. I bought the gun at a low enough price with the intention of having the gun brought back to original condition without braking the bank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts