Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1914 SAA that I received as a 5 1/2” .38 Spl with WWII conversion barrel and cylinder. I swapped one of my parts box .45 Colt 4 3/4” barrels in it that matches the patina pretty well and sent it to Jim. I wanted the cylinder reamed to .45 Colt and his magic worked on the innards. He advised the cylinder was a no-go but he’d be able to put a GW cylinder in. He patina’d the cylinder to match mine, put in a new base pin, replaced the Italian bolt and worked his magic on the rest. The amazing walnut one piece grips came with the gun. She shoots like a dream and looks like a SAA should. Like others have said, speaking to Jim is as much fun as getting your hog leg back. Thanks Jim and thanks everyone on this wonderful forum for providing the Three E’s: education, entertainment and enabling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
A Great Western cylinder! I'm sure that the gun looks much better with the 38 Spcl parts replaced. I prefer one piece wood grips on a shooter too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I’ll get more/better pics once I get Imgur set up.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
A Great Western cylinder! I'm sure that the gun looks much better with the 38 Spcl parts replaced. I prefer one piece wood grips on a shooter too.
About the GW cyl.-it isn't from the new GW's that are being made now,it's from the old GW company that went out of business in 1962.When fast draw got started most of the guns being used were old colt's so there were a lot of problems w/worn lockslots & the guns weren't reliable,this was before colt re-issued the 2nd gens.The GW cyls were the same as a colt & it became a common practice to put one of their cyl's in a colt & it was an improvement over a colt cyl. because the lock slots in the GW cyl were a little longer from front to back & deeper so that u could get more of the bolt deeper & the gun would take the stress of the hard use better than a colt cyl would.This one was NOS & cost less than finding a colt cyl that may or may not be in good condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts