Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I posted a set of Colt grips here yesterday for someone to tell me what I had. I have a vast background in S&W grips but know little about Colts. I bought these from a guy along with a bunch of early 1900 Smith & Wesson grips. I would like to know if they are indeed a set that came in the early 1900s. The backs have been inscribed with a three digit number and it is #986 is that the serial number from a revolver they came from ? That is the only mark on them as they are mint indicating they may have been removed from a revolver when it was new.There is no Colt name anywhere on them and the only thing other than the numbers above is the circle with a horse. I would like infomation on them and would like to know what they are worth.Thanks to all that reply. Hammerdown

------------------
"they can take my guns from me when they pry my cold dead fingers from them"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The #986 has to be the last 3 numbers,as SAAs used 1 piece wooden stocks from their introduction in 1873,until 1882,when hard rubber grips with the American eagle motiff was used. The plain hard rubber grips like you have,date from 1896 to 1940. Then when 2nd generation SAAs were reintroduced in 1956,the plain style continued,until around 1968,when the "eagle" went back. Price?? I really have no idea,as it seems that most of us on the Colt Forum,are not in the financial atmosphere of the serious SAA Collectors/Investors,that rarely grace the forum with their presence! Sounds like you got a great deal! Bud

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello bud;
I rarely come across with a bargain or for that matter grips that have been taken care of like these. I do not have a revolver to put these on so will more than likely be selling them but want a opinion of what they are really worth. thanks for the responses. Hammerdown.

------------------
"they can take my guns from me when they pry my cold dead fingers from them"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts