Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt SAA Guys....I Need Assistance.

Hello all,
I posted this over on the S&W forum. I'm hoping to get some other perspectives here.

A local shop has a well used early 2nd generation SAA (1957) for sale.It's chambered in .38 Special and has a 5.5" barrel.

The gun is in about 70% condition cosmetically. It has character. The case coloring has some splotches but no pitting. It also has some dings and surface scratches, nothing deep. The action is tight and crisp and the timing is right on the money. It appears to be all original but I don't know for sure.

The back of the cylinder is stamped with the rampant Colt. The front of the cylinder is stamped with a 3 digit number that matches the number on the back of the loading gate. Would this be correct? I've read somewhere that the rampant Colt stamping indicates that the cylinder has been replaced. Is that true?

I've been wanting a shooter grade SAA in .38 Special. The shop is asking $1300 for the gun. Is this a fair price?

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Re: Colt SAA Guys....I Need Assistance.

Randy, If the guy is asking 1300.00 Try 1100.00. IMO 1300 is the top of the price scale for the gun you described. I'm more familiar w/ 1st Gen SAAs and on those the loading gate # and the assembly # on the frame under the triggerguard were matching. The cylinder # matched the serial # stamped on the frame. Not sure if the Rampant Colt on the cyl denotes replacement on the 2nd gen guns. On the 1st gen it usually does.

·
Registered
9 Posts

The rampant colt on the cyl is correct for
2nd gen saa- on a first gen it would
be a 2nd gen replacement- if you like it
go for it- 1300 is not out of the question
considering what early 2nd gen saa are going for these days.

·
Registered
48 Posts

if the barrel is actually 5.5 inches it has been shortened. sometimes done to sight in or fix loose barrel. to me 38 lessens the value, a bad guess to me is its worth about 800 to 1100 dollars.. remind you a very bad guess.. if 1300 dollars is top dollar i would say its worth about 900 dollars.. but you may have to pay the whole amount to get it.. id let it set for a year and go back.. youll thats if the bore is good and parts are all the same and serials numbers match in aobut 4 places. all thru th egun you can find plenty of first generation guns for around 2000 at a gun show and if you get it in 45 cal youll have somthing that will increase in value... the second generation value will lag behind in my opionion... if anyone disagrees with me go with them im colloctor and pawn shop dealer is all. but your getting second string stuff here and its not in great shape, so top dollars paid is not a good buy.. in investing, patience is the key/.. the tru e value will come to you of that gun in time... you cant rush into these things.. kind of like buying a new car with the good interest rate and finding out from consumer reports youve just bought the biggest dog of the year... wait, find more info, and moove slowly.. check for changed parts if you dont know how to tell, wait, go slow.. goodluck dave....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the input guys. I would have offered the dealer $1100 after it sat in his case for a few months. $1300 did seem like a bit much too me. I say did because I went back to the shop last week and it was gone. I had expected this particular SAA to be in the case for a while.

I'm not sorry I missed this gun. I know I would have had buyer's remorse if I had to pay $1300 for it. I'd have gladly paid $1500 it it was in 95% condition.

As Dave suggests I think I'm going to try to be patient and wait for a fair deal on the right gun. I've always wanted a real Colt SAA. A 1st generation in good condition would be way cool!

Randy

·
Registered
48 Posts

yourthinking is getting there.. these shops somtimes are national and they rotate goods to keep customers on there toes.. sometimes they sell less to another customer out of town for the same reason.. so you dont know what he sold it for.. he may hae sold it for a song or traded it for lesser expensive guns that will sell better.. all tricks of the trade.. dont think for a minute it was worth that amount unles it was apraised for that much.. your treading in dangerous waters and good buys are very rare.. as owners know what they have and crooks are dumping junk as good items.. so you need a good book for about 35 dollars and a person who knows his stuff to give you a and before you purchase... a owner who has good stuff will not be pushy as he knows he will get his price. the crook will be from ot f town and doesnt get there very often and has to leave soon.. again all tricks of the trade.. if you dont get an antique aprased youll get screwwed 9/10 times.. and sometimes theres a line waiting for that. so let them have it.. if you find a good deal it someone who needs emergancey cash it will be gone in a colple days.... sold to by a professonal dealer or collector.who already knows what it is worth.. 1500 is less than poor condition first generation colt.. as they show about 1600 for a poor condition gun.... as i said about 2000 for a decent deal on a nice first genreatioin would be agood deal.. 95 percent black powder fram be ready to get a second mortgage.. but 20 years ago these were bargans compared to a lot of other investments...remember value will not go up unless it is a desirable model calibere and decent shape and original parts... you will personally not be able to tell this for some time... good luck dave...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Guys- Some feller snapped that sucker up at
$1300.00 - You have to tell me where you find early second gen Colts 70% plus at
$800.00 a pop- I'm going there NOW!
38spl lessens the value? Marone! There must
be a gazillion CAS shooters out there shooting 38spl. One of em got that Colt.
Seriously, The important thing here is to
understand WHY you're buying it. For an
investment? To shoot? A bit of both? Any
1st or second gen Colt in decent shape will track inflation - What happens after that
no one knows. $1300 was not the steal of the
century for that Colt- but it wasn't half bad either.

·
Registered
48 Posts

differing parts of the country vary with gun values.. about a year ago i saw about 6- colts first generation at a gun show here. one was a bisley .45 and the buyer wanted about 1700 dollars. it was in good shape and i almost bought it.. it had colt company paper of authenticity. i forget what is was who ti was sold to etc.. he had more in variing price ranges... we see them here in the 2000 dollar price in the 70 percent range frm time to time.... buyers get them form here and sell them in vegas fora nice profit.. i supposs a lot of these guns originated here and our median income is low compared to the national average..to my knowledge the guy with the 6 colts went home without a sale, and didnt come back thenext year.. good luck...dave

·
Registered
48 Posts

i did not say the was worth 800, i said it was maybe worth about 800 to 1100.. i had a colt in my shop for purchase/ trade with a stranger with serial number 12000 aprox the other day in good condtion.. but it had a new cylinder and new barrel without matching serrial numbers. this was not a real apparent change.. . i called an appraiser and he said it was worth aprox 600 dollars.. so again beware , and if you run out there buying good deals in a hurry, your going to get burned 8/10 times.. good luck dave..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts