Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A 5-1/2" Colt SAA fits nicely into this holster., and left some impressions of one being there a long time. I have three different A. H. Buell holsters, and they all share these characteristics (1) Better quality heavy leather, (2) Extensively Hand Carved/Embossed with Floral Patterns, (3) Single or double loops riveted to skirt, (4) Use of Conchos (of leather or metal) for Decoration, (5) Unusual Tie-down strap feature, as riveted to back of skirt.

So far attempts to locate A. H. Buell have failed. It is probably the holster maker, but could be a gun wholesaler/retailer. If I have three of his holsters by chance, then the volume of production must have been large.

The third picture shows the "A. H. Buell" stamping on the lower skirt, facing the pouch.

The fourth picture shows the stamping on the back of the skirt "4767-L / 44-6". A One (1) was used for a Dash (-).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,682 Posts
I once had a western holster in this style minus the concho that was lightly stamped "Luger" on the back which was what it was for. but no maker mark. It looked almost exactly like one in Packing Iron by "Vasalia" which I think was in San Francisco. I wonder if there's a Buell and Vasalia connection.

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is from a 1900 Illinois Census (A. H. Buell). Can anyone venture a guess as to what "Occupation" (far right entry) was listed for the man, born in Dec 1851? I would almost say "Handgun Merchant", but don't think that phrase was used back them.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is another interesting entry, as found in an 1875 Illinois statewide directory. There is an A. H. Buell listed as "Leather & Findings" at Golconda, IL. I did look under "Hides & Leather" as suggested, but Buell wasn't listed there. Golconda is in the extreme southern tip of Illinois, on the Ohio River. This would have made a great shipping point for leather goods as sold - wholesale or retail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This is from a 1900 Illinois Census (A. H. Buell). Can anyone venture a guess as to what "Occupation" (far right entry) was listed for the man, born in Dec 1851? I would almost say "Handgun Merchant", but don't think that phrase was used back them.
I think you have it exactly right. That's what my eyes see, too. Remember that census takers were usually local people who used terms that meant something to them.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Try searching Abilene & San Angelo business directories...
Just guessing
rayb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts