Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,213 Posts
Can you post a top view of your SAA? Colt made a "Flattop Target" that looks a lot like your, but I suspect your sights may have been adapted by a good gunsmith to 'enhance' a standard SAA.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Can you post a top view of your SAA? Colt made a "Flattop Target" that looks a lot like your, but I suspect your sights may have been adapted by a good gunsmith to 'enhance' a standard SAA.
He said ‘factory letter says special sights’. Wonder if by factory letter he means an actual colt archive one? If it is it would be nice to see that as well

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I have a London adressed Colt SAA in .450 Boxer with Factory Letter stating ”Furnished with special sights and 41/2 lb. trigger pull. Shipped to London Agency May 21, 1888.” Original grips, turned to slightly brown.
Interested in the rarity of this combination and such factory sights?

View attachment 759614
I have not seen sights like that before but the gun looks original to me.
Thanks for posting

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
There is the possibility that, given the chambering and special sights, it may be one of one. i now have a rudimentary education on the .450 Boxer, finding that it certainly had wide application in the UK and beyond. From Wiki:
The .450 Adams was a British black powder centrefire revolver cartridge, initially used in converted Beaumont–Adams revolvers, in the late 1860s. Officially designated .450 Boxer Mk I, and also known variously as the .450 Revolver, .450 Colt, .450 Short, .450 Corto and .450 Mark III, and in America as the .45 Webley, it was the British Army's first centrefire revolver round.
It seems likely that the .450 Boxer was a popular target round at the time - but this is the first that I have seen. It certainly has been very well cared for, and the screws appear in excellent condition - perhaps never turned post-factory.

As to the 12 guns in shipment as noted int he letter, there is some debate as to whether that meant 12 identical guns or 12 of varying description. In that caliber, and with the sights and overall condition, it is most certainly quite rare.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Very cool ! I'd say 1 of a kind. Like po1guy said , 12 in the shipment does not indicate that any of the others were set up the same. I would ask Colt about the others . That's fine as frog hair. Congratulations .

·
Registered
809 Posts
Very cool ! I'd say 1 of a kind. Like po1guy said , 12 in the shipment does not indicate that any of the others were set up the same. I would ask Colt about the others . That's fine as frog hair. Congratulations .
That is an important question... I always thought that same shipment implied same configuration i. e. identical guns????
Peter

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
"Number same type guns in shipment" could mean identical examples, or 12 Single Action Army revolvers. I am not certain the details may be known with precision at this late date.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the many comments. Learning all the time more of this 133 year old Colt.

Here are more pictures. Frame has some traces of colour hardening. Note the British proof marks between chambers. Trigger guard has ”45 cal”. Front sight post might be silver. Sights share same patina as the gun.

Of almost 360,000 Single-Action Army revolvers produced by Colt's, apparently no more than 729 (?) were supplied in .450 (Boxer) calibre?
Revolver Line Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel

Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger

Office supplies Writing implement Tool Font Cylinder

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
And, of 729, how many had special sights and regulated trigger? You may indeed have a one-of-one.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
This is a VERY nice gun! Interesting that the front TG bow has .45 Cal instead of rear bow with .45 over B JMO, but I think the letter means 12 .45 Boxer SAAs in shipment not 12 SAAs with special sights and 4 1/2 lb. trigger pull. You may indeed have the only gun specifying "special sights." That is a pretty broad description of the request unless someone at the agency got REAL specific about what they wanted but the letter doesn't mention an individual. I'd have thought sights similar to a flat top target even though the frame is consistent with a standard SAA. Someone at the factory got creative.
Just my own opinion but I think the real value is in the condition, caliber and destination. The sights are very interesting but to me add significant interest but not a ton of value. It is one of the finest condition boxers I've seen.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts