Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Sir, you own a real treasure!

I should add that the grips are correct for the time frame with the Eagle, and the condition matches the rest of the gun, and it’s a nice example.

I think the condition makes this valuable to begin with, and the rare caliber and the “special sights” make it all the more intriguing!

How did you come to acquire it and what are your intentions?
Before I got the factory letter, got many comments on ”aftermarket sights by some local gunsmith, making it undesirable”. I am looking for a correct marketplace for it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Before I got the factory letter, got many comments on ”aftermarket sights by some local gunsmith, making it undesirable”. I am looking for a correct marketplace for it.
Ummmm? If you’re looking for the correct place to market it you’re already here. I think many are salivating over this. Find out what it’s worth from these people and offer it up. In fact I’d guess since you just said the above your inbox will be overloaded in a bit. 😂

·
Registered
117 Posts
Contact Rock Island Auctions or Morphy Auctions, both in the U.S. Look on their websites for past auctions to get an idea of the superb quality of the firearms they sell and the stellar marketing they perform.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Santa , Did you do a half luck purchase or was this something you recognized as special ? Tell more about the purchase , I still day dream .🖖 PS Christmas is right around the corner .

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Sorry, too many questions about the gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Santa , Did you do a half luck purchase or was this something you recognized as special ? Tell more about the purchase , I still day dream .🖖 PS Christmas is right around the corner .
I have collected mostly percussion pistols, howdah’s and pistol pairs and Colt SAA’s in 44-40. When came across this, I did have a hunch that the sights were out of ordinary, since I could not find similar exaples.

·
Premium Member
4,816 Posts
Possibly except for its antique status, I think it might have to be sold in the EU. Arms exportation and stuff like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have collected mostly percussion pistols, howdah’s and pistol pairs and Colt SAA’s in 44-40. When came across this, I did have a hunch that the sights were out of ordinary, since I could not find similar exaples.
If U had a gun of that rarity, I would contact Colt and ask for specs of 12 guns to both sides of that serial no.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As Cascabel suggested above, it might be useful to contact Rock Island Auctions and Morphy Auctions with specific questions about the importation of the piece for sale in the U.S. I would assume that both companies have the in-house resources and experience in the process to be able to quickly estimate the degree of difficulty ( or simplicity ) and expense. Congratulations on a remarkable SAA

Rick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good suggestion but I think one gun on either side would be sufficient. There may be a charge from Colt.
[/QUOT
If U had a gun of that rarity, I would contact Colt and ask for specs of 12 guns to both sides of that serial no.
The problem with that is that Colt's didn't necessarily produce and ship SAAs serially. I own a .450 Boxer that is over 300 serial #s away from a gun of the same configuration as the one pictured on pg. 40 of Graham, Kopec and Moore's book and they were shipped to London together. In a different shipment of 10 SAAs sent to London, sn 53441 and 53390 of the exact same configuration were packaged together. Finding consecutively numbered black powder SAAs of the same configuration is the exception.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
You should also read pages 200-203 of "The Official Record" which will go a long way to explaining your SAA. On page 201 is the following referencing an order shipped to London on May, 21 1888: Quote: Included in the same order were 12 revolvers in .450 Boxer listed as having "Special sights and a 4 1/2 lb pull." The configuration of these sights is unknown, but the nomenclature suggests that these were target revolvers. End quote.
It's possible that what you have is a prototype Target Model which Colt's decided to sell, since they never threw anything away.
You may have unearthed a "grail".
Thank you for finding this information. I am quite impressed on the expertise and how well this forum works!

Further pieces of additional information is coming from experts around the world;

”Your Colt is certainly unusual and interesting that it is only a few serial numbers earlier than the first flat-top target. I personally feel the batch of 12 guns were made special order for a UK dealer. At the time, all imported Colts went through the 14 Pall Mall office, and as you say, adjustable sights were not an option. I feel a customer insisted on adjustable sights (many English revolvers of the period had them) and the Pall Mall office told him ‘ok, but you will have to order at least 12 pieces’. Sadly we do not know who this dealer was as the depot supplied many gun shops throughout the UK and even of course India and Australia. It is possible of course that this and the other revolvers made the Colt factory think that adjustable sights were a good idea and they should add them to their line-up.”

·
Registered
858 Posts
You should also read pages 200-203 of "The Official Record" which will go a long way to explaining your SAA. On page 201 is the following referencing an order shipped to London on May, 21 1888: Quote: Included in the same order were 12 revolvers in .450 Boxer listed as having "Special sights and a 4 1/2 lb pull." The configuration of these sights is unknown, but the nomenclature suggests that these were target revolvers. End quote.
It's possible that what you have is a prototype Target Model which Colt's decided to sell, since they never threw anything away.
You may have unearthed a "grail".

How cool is that that this gun has been written about yet sight config was unknown because I guess none were known about or had ever been seen and now this one pops up. You’re right he did find a grail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar situation with a Flattop marked 450 Eley. Made in 1890 with non standard front sight.
Don Jones has it listed in his records as being one manufactured with a special front sight. You may want to contact him and see if your revolver is also listed in the Colt special order records.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If you have the "Official Record" by Wilkerson and Hoyt, pages 178 and 179 have a letter by C. Frederick Lowe discussing "special sights' for the Wimbledon shooting competition. Letter is dated Dec 15,1887.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have the "Official Record" by Wilkerson and Hoyt, pages 178 and 179 have a letter by C. Frederick Lowe discussing "special sights' for the Wimbledon shooting competition. Letter is dated Dec 15,1887.
NICE FIND! Yeah, this helps understand the possible evolution of the target sights and why these 12 SAAs were sent to London.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts