Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to this Forum, but I have a Colt SAA that I received from a friend's widow and my resource material is somewhat limited. I was hoping perhaps someone could give me some insight and also if it might be worthwhile to ask for a letter of authenticity from Colt.

The SN is 344xxx, 4.75" barrell; caliber marked on left side of barrell: 32 W.C.F.; Patent Dates: Sept. 9, 1871 July 2 72, Jan 9 75. The gun is blued.

Any information at all would sure be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (This is my first post, so I hope I have done it correctly).

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Y'all being from Missouri should have anticipated this answer.."Show Me"....:D
We need Pictures ! I might letter it, but others might not. Personal Preference really.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Welcome Eakohler to the Colt Forum. You are in the right place to find out what you need to know. Letters always help. It will take a few months to get it if you decide to do so. My worn out joke on here is that if you get some good photos of the gun posted, the experts on here can tell you who was working at the Colt factory that day.. what order they arrived.. and which one built it. There may be slight exaggeration but don't tell nobody. Seriously, with photos these guys can give you a good amount of information on your SAA (more than you know to ask as I have found out) and an approximate value if you so seek that. Congratulations on receiving such a fine item and condolences on the loss of your friend.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
As noted above, looks like it was shipped in 1922 or 1923. The gun has been refinished. I wouldn't letter it. May not even be able to letter it due to Colt's records being missing for some of the later Pre-War SAAs. Unless it is special for some reason, it is not a collector piece due to the refinish. However, assuming a good bore it would be is a nice shooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I had a feeling it had been refinished (re-blued). Yes, the bore is quite good. I might try shooting it a bit as I do have some .32 WCF ammo. Again, thanks to all that replied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts