Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 Colt SAA Interpol Commemorative revolvers on Gunbroker indicating only 154 factory engraved were produced with the first 20 engraved by Alvin White. I am not familiar with this commemorative and wondering if members could tell more. Really engraved by AA White? Are they valued any differently than the other many commemoratives produced? THANKS

·
Premium Member
20,941 Posts
Very fine engraving quality, but what is a 'native American' doing on an Interpol commemorative?
Those grips are from the 1980's

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
The gun was advertised as a reproduction of the SAA owned by Carbine Williams. If I recall correctly, they retailed for between $4,000 - $4,500. The grips are faux ivory, and although the description indicates nickel finish, I believe they were silver plated. This one certainly appears to be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The original Carbine Williams Colt was engraved and given to him by R.J. Kornbrath when Williams worked for Colts. I have had several Interpol Colts over the years and still have one that was engraved by A.A. White himself. I saw these listed on GB with bullshit descriptions. NO THESE ARE NOT COLT FACTORY ENGRAVED. They were introduced in the early 1990's by the U.S. HISTORICAL SOCIETY - now known as AMERICA REMEMBERS. They are silver plated and some of the first ones did come with real Ivory but due to the international outcry over butchering elephants in Africa and ivory starting to get scarce and hard to get, U.S. Historical Society started using the "IVOREX". Looks like ivory but a lot cheaper. Interpol allowed the Carbine Williams Colt to be photographed from each angle to get the pattern copied exactly by USHS staff according to Jeff Belcher who was present - and is listed on company literature that accompanied each Colt. There were 154 member countries at the time ergo 154 copies produced. American Masters Engravers thru R.L. Wilson did most of them. A.A. White's shop was A.M.E. If your Interpol Colt is stamped A A W on the trigger guard just behind the trigger, then it was done by White himself, according to Jeff. If not, then the engraving was done by either MASTER ENGRAVERS Andrew Bourbon, Denise Thirion or John Adams. I don't know if either of them signed their work as White did. You will find excellent information on the Interpol Colt In R.L. Wilson's THE COLT ENGRAVING BOOK volumn two, section THE AMERICA REMEMBERS SERIES on page 684.

·
Premium Member
20,941 Posts
Mike, Great information! US Historical created some real collectible guns and they also created a lot of junky ones.
The one I saw in the OP is very well done. Of course, they copied a true master, Kornbrath.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Natural material Font Skull Electric blue Jewellery

(Image from GB)

Well executed engraving, but the hammer/back strap ears………. Someone really took a lot off those. Pretty gun nonetheless!

·
Premium Member
20,941 Posts
View attachment 751150
(Image from GB)

Well executed engraving, but the hammer/back strap ears………. Someone really took a lot off those. Pretty gun nonetheless!
Sometimes marginal gunsmiths remove metal from the front of those 'ears' to draw the grip frame up a bit toward the frame to fit ivory grips that are too small for the grip frame. That is what appears to have happened here. Neither Alvin White nor any of the other engravers mentioned by Mike H. would have done that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
View attachment 751150
(Image from GB)

View attachment 751150
(Image from GB)

Actually, those ears are examples of the quality control which Colt lacked in those years. My Interpol shows this exact problem. Colt was going through machinists strikes (union problems) and hired "gunsmiths" that formerly worked at H&R and were used to squaring off rounded edges. Looks like crap. These were shipped in the white and the engravers engraved whatever they were sent. Jim Alaimo complained about this when he worked at Colt but help was hard to get and in those years, as Jim told me more than once, "we got what we got". In 1999, I had a CFSS that the edges were so rounded off and the backstrap screw holes were so dished that the screw was visible from the side that Jim replaced the entire gun for me with one he personally supervised building and he gave me a bonus of factory stag grips on the gun. I miss the old guys at Colts.

·
Premium Member
20,941 Posts
Mike, That is good information on the period when the craftsmen were on strike. I have never seen one from that period quite as bad as this one..

·
Registered
23 Posts
So what is the estimated price for one?
I haven't seen them sell for more than $4,500 on Gunbroker but a dealer sold one for $9,500 at a Colt Collectors Show a few years ago. It had all the literature plus the shipping carton. It was not signed by A.A. White so it was engraved by one of the other engravers that worked for him.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The David Williams type gun seems to have been auctioned a number of times over the years and sold in the $4000 range. But the guns barrel address seems different on some. Is their a correct address for these?
Textile Rectangle Sleeve Wood Material property

·
Registered
23 Posts
That small type 2 line barrel address looks like the barrel address that Colt did for the Colt Collectors Association Frontier Six-Shooter in the mid/late 1980's. The late Don Wilkerson told me CCA paid for the dye but then it belonged to Colt. It was also used in the early 1990's (same era as the Interpol Colt) for the 38WCF CCA guns so it stands to reason that it could be used on other barrels. Old saying at Colts "..... Colts never throws anything away....." We've seen this barrel address on other Colts since then. I've had 4-3/4" 3rd Gen etched panel CFSS with the same small 2 line barrel address. Looks fine to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts