Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can usually determine a fair market value for a gun if I know the model and condition, but this one has me stumped. I have been offered a 2'nd generation Colt SAA, blued with 7-1/2 bbl. That's common enough. However, this one is a commemorative produced in 1961. It originally had a gold-plated grip frame, trigger, hammer, and cylinder pin. A shooting buddy bought it two years ago UNFIRED and promptly began using it as a cowboy action gun, absolutely ruining the collector value. Worse, he didn't like the gold plating and removed it, so the gold parts are now nickel, since that's what was underneath the gold. He has shot it 600 times and now wants to sell it. Other than the missing gold plate it looks new and shoots great and comes with the hardwood box and all papers. He's asking $1,200, which seems about right. I just am not sure. Help me out here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
some uncirculated pre 1900 morgan silver dollars in very perfect (new) condition can be worth about 225,000 dollars.. the same coin in average used condition is sometimes worth 10-12 dollars or there abouts.. the gun you described above will not gain very much value compared to a collectors gun.. , its a run of the mill used 2nd generation. i never put much stock in factory decided collector guns.. the collectors decide what guns have collectors value, not the factory.... . id save your money for older guns in excellent condition where you will have more appreciation..your friend would not be happy with what i think his gun is worth,,... my opinion only.. dave....

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
Personally, I'd pass.
What USED to be a commemorative, and possibly collectible gun, is now just a run-of-the-mill, well-used Colt revolver.

The fact that he has the box and papers, means nothing now that he's destroyed it's value by shooting it, and mostly by altering it.

It's over priced for what it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Howdy

You didn't mention what you want the pistol for. If you want it as a collectable, clearly with the changes your friend made it is no longer a collectable gun. Other than the simple fact that it is a Colt.

If on the other hand you want it as a shooter, I don't think $1200 is out of line for a nice 2nd Gen Colt. I can tell you that I have paid more than that for a nice 2nd Gen Colt as a shooter, and I've scoured a lot of gun shows and gun shops. You have to decide what you want it for. Personally, the idea of a gold or nickel plated trigger, hammer, cylinder pin and grip frame seems a little gaudy to me.

Just decide what you really want it for, and don't be influenced by the fact that the seller is your friend.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the input. As I noted in the original post, the collector's value is gone. All I want is a good 1'st or 2'nd generation shooter and this one is in mint condition, mechanically speaking. It shoots to point of aim, is in .45 Colt (my favorite SAA caliber), and I haven't seen any other 2'nd generation SAA's that were this close to new condition. The nickel (gold plate is gone) doesn't bother me for a shooter. I am puzzled that Dave and David think it's grossly overpriced. The cheapest 2'nd generation Colt that I have examined so far was priced at $1,300 and not in nearly as nice a condition. If this Colt is not worth $1,200 then is it worth more like $750? $900? I haven't seen anything that inexpensive. My personal non-professional appraisal was that it was probably worth $1,100, but now my confidence is shaken.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it really depends what part of the country your from, and what buisiness your in.. ive had a 1926 saa .45 colt in my gun case for 1700 dollars for some time.. its all original, but in poor condition. iv had several people say it would go for 2600 easily in las vagas.. i wont trust anyone to take it there, and im not going there.. out of staters want it all the time but i wont sell to them over the counter, and for some reason they wont trust me to send it to thier gunsmith.. so around and around it goes.. if you want a shooter get a hartford, its a better gun.. i like colts especially the old ones but im not impressed with factory hype and overpricing due to shortages, advertising, company problems, etc.. like when smith got high prices for the 44 mag.. i got a ruger. when companies are grossly overpriced for their product becouse of hype or living off thier reputation theier days are numbered.....back to the comemorative.. we are looking at a colt, shoots good, no collector value 1200 dollars. i dont like cimeron and liberty etc becouse they have original indexing errors, and varied workmanship.. alot of new colt copys need an action and trigger job right from the start.. i asked what is the best colt copy was on the sixgunner forrum a month ago and three answeres ( the only three) said hartford.. i was crushed when i found out they were 1500 dollars.. so be it.. offer him 900 for the 2nd generation or get the hartford for 300 more.. in 100 years the harford will be worth some money if you dont ruin it..ALWAYS USE HORSE HIDE INNER LINEd AMERICAN leather TANNED HOLSTERS... where the colts value will go depends on whether colt is still in buisiness.. my opinion only,, this needs to be scrutinized by others opinions who are more knowledgable than me about colts, and could be discussed for years.. a new 7 1/2 in colt was 975 wholesale from their custom shop last summer.. in my opinion its worth more than the gun you speak of.. you need a ffl to order one but you can find a reputable guy who will order one for you for 50 dollars if you look around.. i dont know what they are selling for now.. there are guys in your town that can appraise your gun within a couple dollars. the one appraising the gun needs to have it in his hand,... take it to the biggest gun store in your area that sells used guns by the hundreds and ask for thier main appraiser.. then ask what theyt would pay for it.. two totally diffeent numbers.. you should be paying the lower number or split the diffence with your friend if you totaly satisfied its the one for you.. good luck.. dave..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts