Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo all,
I got a refinished 1 gen.colt sigle action army in 45Colt, s/n:128956 which I am not sure if it has the original barrel and cylinder.
The barrel are markt with the adress on the top, 45Colt on the left side and a R.A.C under the cylinder pin.
The cylinder are markt R.A.C on the back
and 7 or L in front. The frame and triggerguard are markt with serialnr.
The onepiece wooden grip is markt 13 under the backstrap, ejectorport are markt ?65. The frame has the two line pat.mark on the left side. There are no other markings on the gun.
The barrel and cylinder are in very good shape internally.
So is this original barrel and cylinder?

New colt owner from Norway

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Welcome to the Colt forum covey. Someone with the knowledge to answer your question will check in soon.

Do you have a hammer, trigger and springs for your SAA?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
You don't show the frame serial number or markings, so it's difficult to assess that and try and determine originality with regards to that.

The barrel should not be marked .45 Colt. It should have a 4 digit serial number where you see the faked R.A.C. marking.

The frame is obviously refinished, and the faker removed the 'U.S.' marking when refinishing, or it's a completely faked frame which never had a 'U.S.' to begin with.

The chamfer of the cylinder is too abrupt for the period and probably did not originate from a Cavalry Model.

The fit of the backstrap ears to the frame is poor.

So, you have a parts gun. How much money do you have into it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be some thing like this? "John A. Kopec and H. Sterling Fenn, in their book Colt Cavalry & Artillery Revolvers…A Continuing Study, write about their study of a dozen Colt Artilleries with unserialized frames. Like this one, 10 of the 12 frames were not stamped with the typical Artillery “U.S.” mark, some had the 5-1/2 inch barrel marked “45 Colt” and were inspector marked “R.A.C.” under the barrel instead of serialized, and some also had unserialized cylinders with the “R.A.C.” mark stamped on the back. The conclusion was that these were some of the last U.S. martial Single Action Armies refurbished with the very last parts in 1903."

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
A few late artillerys had the caliber stamping on the barrel but unfortunately I can see very little on this gun that is legitimate.

Some devious character has tried to enhance the value by making it appear to be a artillery model. Never was a US on the frame and no, not a factory error.
Serial numbers not even close to being correct.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Don't feel so bad. We have all screwed up in this hobby. In the last few days I showed pictures of 2 Pythons that back in my OCD days I had refinished (even from Colt). They did not really need refinishing in the first place. So now they are shooters rather then Collectible. Live and learn, and if you find out it is a shooter..........then start shooting it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
A few late artillerys had the caliber stamping on the barrel but unfortunately I can see very little on this gun that is legitimate.
Very good, Rick!

It may be that I have seen Colt Artillery Model revolvers that have this marking and dismissed them for reasons other than this, or that I simply have not seen it, because it is uncommon. I believed that it did not occur at all, and, in the case of this revolver, I believe the faker used a barrel that was readily available, and was stamped prior with .45 Colt, but some legitimate Artillery Model revolvers can be stamped with .45 Colt on the left side of the barrel. Originally, it fooled Graham, Kopec, & Moore, and it fooled me:

From A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver, by Graham, Kopec, & Moore, p 261 (2006 edition):

"During the final days of the contracts, arsenal supplies of parts were dwindling and Colt's had to draw from supplies of their civilian barrels to complete certain contracts. Several Artillery models have been found with civilian type 5 1/2-inch barrels stamped "45 COLT" on their left sides. At first, the authors believed them to be later civilian replacement barrels. However, recently an example has been observed bearing an "R.A.C." marking on the underside without any "P" proof marking. The barrel address on these examples is the short civilian style block address with the period after "Co." It is not found on any other U.S. Colt Single Action revolvers."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts