1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
It's got wear and rust on the hammer sides. So a used 3rd gen for $2100? I think not. $1100 maybe, but even that for me is too high. That's what a retail place like Cabelas does - sells to the desperate or impatient.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
At least the case colors are vivid, but $300 over MSRP for the least desirable barrel length (at least to me) is a stretch.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am confused... that is what is usually referred to a "black powder" frame with the angled screw instead of the cross bolt for cylinder retention.

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
I am confused... that is what is usually referred to a "black powder" frame with the angled screw instead of the cross bolt for cylinder retention.

Yes, it’s really a misnomer as the angled screw that holds in the cylinder base pin does not make it a Blackpowder only of course, but it is definitely known as the “blackpowder frame “ . Those were Colts first frame configuration which were only approved for blackpowder ammo use.. (lower pressure) The frame change to the crosspin was around the same time, but the approved “smokeless powder “ ( higher pressure) Ammo switched according to a serial number, and not exactly with the type of frame configuration for the Base pin. ... but Everybody... everybody .... does call the early style frame the blackpowder frame.

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
The claim to fame that SAA has that the seller is banking on is that blackpowder frame. Colts says no more BP frames and who knows how long forever could be.. especially with Colts, but you can’t get one made custom shop or otherwise right now... so if you’re desperate for a BP frame, and want to Flitz the shitaki out of the sides of that hammer to clean her up to new... maybe. Well ... there ya go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts