Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning my SAA 7 1/2 U.S. marked gun. Serial # 473XX has an ordanance mark of H.N. which stands for Henry Nettleton. I've tried to get some info on him off the internet without much luck. Anyone have any additional info?
I am considering selling it so I need some info
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Steve17,

Henry Nettleton inspected SAA Colts in the 47056 to 51083 serial number range. roughly from May to August of 1878. He was a civilian sub-inspector for the Army that was assigned to the Colt plant. Captain John E. Greer was the Army Ordnance Inspector for this series of revolvers. They totaled 3000 guns. There are versions of the revolver both with and without the US mark on the frame. You can find Henry Nettleton's HN stamp on various parts of the SAA. Be very carful as there are numerous fakes in the market place. A careful check of the ordnance stamps is a good idea before you buy one and showing it to a knowledgable collector before you shell out big bucks is a good idea... Hope that answers your questions. Bob Best

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting article on the HN marked Colts, but is anyone else shaking their head in wonder at how the proofreaders at American Handgunner allowed the title "'Shotting" the Martial Colts" slip by? Amazing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts