Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the serial number on a Colt SAA currently for sale on Gunbroker and it came back with a warning “SAA RECALL- DO NOT FIRE. PLEASE CALL...” and it gives an 800 number. I couldn’t find anything on the Colt website about a recall. Anyone know anything about this? The gun was a 4 3/4” .45 made this year.

·
Administrator
7,028 Posts
Google turns up nada on a recall .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the SN off the photo of the box. Just ran another two others listed on GB, also made in 2018, a 4 3/4”; and a 5 1/2” both .45s, and the same recall message came back. 800 962-2658 is the number. The original gun I ran seems to be no longer listed. I ran the SNs on the Colt SN number look up on their website. So I called the 800 number. The man said he was unaware of a recall but had been advised about possible “frame integrity” issues with some of the 2018 SAAs. Said they’ve had some “minor cracks”. That was all he knew and all I know. I get the impression Colt is still trying to figure out what’s going on.
I’m not trying to start rumors here but I’ve been considering getting a recent mfg 3rd gen if I can find one at a price I’m willing to pay. This does make me a little cautious, however.

·
Premium Member
19,234 Posts
I called about my SAA that I just purchased. They said there were cracks in the frames of about 150 guns recently produced (this year). They are sending me a FedEx label so that I can ship it to them.

That is very troubling news on SAA's that appear to be of such high quality. Maybe that is why Colt is saying they can't get frames for SAA's according to another Thread.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I called about my SAA that I just purchased. They said there were cracks in the frames of about 150 guns recently produced (this year). They are sending me a FedEx label so that I can ship it to them.
You may want to request in writing that Colt uses your old serial number on the new frame. In some states it becomes a problem if a new serial number is used.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Just what Colt did not need...another nail in the coffin.........

Reactions: victorio1sw

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just got off the phone with Tim at Colt, they want my Colt SAA that was produced in April 2018 sent back to Colt, so they can inspect it for cracks in the frame. I was told that Colt just found about these small cracks IN SOME OF 2018 SAA FRAMES, for precautionary measures they want to inspect 2018 frames.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
At least it sounds like they're trying to get ahead of the issue and any potential liability.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Anyone how many guns they actually made this year and what percentage that would be.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts