·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Have a second gen Colt .357as new.
However, the cylinder now spins freely with the
revolver cocked or un-cocked.

Any Gunsmiths here ???

Thanks in advance....
You might just have a broken sear and bolt spring, or its screw is loose? Check under the cylinder to see if the locking bolt remains down, regardless of hammer position.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Contact Mr. Jim Martin. He's a member here and goes by his name as a Screen Name. He's the best I have ever used!!! Fair pricing and he does EXCELLENT work. Send him a PM and he'll let you know when it's best for you to call to discuss your gun. Few are as good and none are better!! He's near Kingman, AZ.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might just have a broken sear and bolt spring, or its screw is loose? Check under the cylinder to see if the locking bolt remains down, regardless of hammer position.
Make sure you have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers. There are some sets made specifically for Colt SAA. Then take the gun apart and clean and inspect the parts.

The problem you described sounds like an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Great point! You can buy the screwdriver tips from Brownells for SAA.
Vic

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
A broken bolt/sear spring sounds like the most likely cause of the problem. It is relatively common and an easy fix.
If you are going to try and fix it yourself, you might as well order a replacement spring at the same time you order the driver bits from Brownell's. It will save time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all....
The locking bolt stays down no matter where the hammer
position is. I bought a good set of screwdrivers years ago.
Looks like Brownell's have the springs.
Next question....is the spring the same for second & third gens?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Thanks all....
Thanks all....
Good screwdrivers should be hollow ground at the tip, not what I call the "wedge screwdriver". Wedge screwdrivers may be stronger at the tip, but are guaranteed to bugger up screw slots.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks all....
same spring

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Wouldn’t superglue work for that? Pete 😂

·
Registered
227 Posts
Duct tape...........................

Reactions: Southgate

·
Registered
447 Posts
Story time. We do Cowboy Action Shooting. At one match one of the old cowboys came with one Uberti Cattleman 45 Colt and one gowd awful big stainless Super Blackhawk hunter model with a full length rib and something like 10" barrel. Obvious question, Why? His other Cattleman was at the local gunsmith. The symptoms he described were just like a broken or dead bolt spring. I loaned him one of my Cattleman 45s that was a match to his.

Anyway, the gunsmith had it for 4 months - saying he was waiting on parts. Another 2 months before he got it back. Charged him $75 to repair.

MidwayUSA is in the town he lives in. They have customer pickup service. A $5 part and 10 minutes to fix. If I'd known, I would have fixed it for him.

P.S. I don't begrudge the gunsmith that charged $75 and even that he took 6 months for a simple fix. $75 is probably his minimum charge. And he was probably backed up months with other work. Besides general gun repair, he builds high-end silenced rifles for airport security that I'm told are for taking out deer that get onto the runways.

My buddy could have came to any of the "cowboy" gunsmiths that he shoots with that would have fixed him up.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
For cowboy action shooting, I now either bring a spare SAA or spare bolt spring and gunsmith screwdriver set. Last time, it was a spare gun. I believe I have broken 2 bolt springs during a match in the 10 years I have shot cowboy action. Both times other cowboys borrowed me their gun to finish the match. The last time, it was a pair of tuned Ruger vaqueros. That prompted me to get the hollowed out wolf mainsprings for my pair of colt cowboys.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
What does that look like and why does that work better ?

Thanks , Craig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts