Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting my new to me 2nd gen. Colt SAA for the second time, I was surprised to find the trigger guard, frame and backstrap felt a little loose. Uppon checking the screws I found the backstrap, front guard, front strap, and rear guard screws were all significantly loose. I also checked my 1st gen Colt SAA that I shot once a long time ago and found a screw or two a little loose but no play in the frame structure. Is such a situation fairly typical and one should check screws after every shooting? THANKS

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
After shooting my new to me 2nd gen. Colt SAA for the second time, I was surprised to find the trigger guard, frame and backstrap felt a little loose. Uppon checking the screws I found the backstrap, front guard, front strap, and rear guard screws were all significantly loose. I also checked my 1st gen Colt SAA that I shot once a long time ago and found a screw or two a little loose but no play in the frame structure. Is such a situation fairly typical and one should check screws after every shooting? THANKS
Every time u shoot a SA u should check ALL the screws when u clean the gun,2 of the most overlooked screws by most SA owners is the base pin latch assem. & the ejector housing screw,I've seen the ejector housing come completely off the bbl. & when the base pin latch assem. comes loose you'll be lucky if u find the small parts in the dirt but the worst part is your base pin can fall out & then the cyl. is loose in the frame.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes. And yes.....You can get the washers mentioned by "Kid Sorpis" or use "Loc-Tite", but to my way of thinking it's just as effective to tighten the screws after firing. (you should really check them anyway)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
+1 to the kid's advise. Get the washers. I orderred a bunch all at once from Colt. Enough to refit each SAA in my stable and have two complete sets left over. My experience with loctite is that sometimes it does it's job too well and makes those fragile screws a bear to remove. Nothing worse than a buggered up screw slot.......

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
There are several different "strengths" of Loc-Tite available. However, most auto parts, hardware, and Big Box stores (Home Depot, etc.) carry only the general purpose type, which holds pretty tightly and makes it difficult to remove screws. There is a variety that does not hold so tightly (maybe green label), and can be loosened fairly easily using a screwdriver if needed. However, you would probably have to order it from somewhere on the internet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use Loctite or Permatex Blue (medium strength) on all my heavy recoiling gun screws, To remove, I heat up a good fitting screwdriver and let it heat the screw up before removal. I have never had any issues doing this.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I use clear nail polish on mine...holds them good but easy to remove when necessary. Before doing this my base pin latch assembly DID come undone once...when I set the gun down on the bench after firing! What luck! The parts were all right there on the bench. Learned my lesson and have used nail polish since.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
NorwichCadet

The washers suggested by Kid are the best idea. I have used a trick of wrapping the screw with a small strip of electritions teflon tape & had that cure the problem.
Frank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts