1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a very nice second generation Colt SAA with 4 3/4
in nickel. According to a Colt book only around 620 were manufactured
in this configuration. 1969 gun
I assume it should be somewhat collectable.

I have shooter S&W 357's.....but I am considering shooting this Colt.
I know...
"It's my gun"
"no safe queens for me" etc....

So..shoot It or not...?

Your opinion..
Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Shoot the crap out of it
Too much emphasis is put on collecting everything
It keeps reminding me of my grandmother's couch
It had that thick clear plastic cover on it to protect it and no one was susposed to sit on it
What is the point in having something to never use it as intended
If it were me
I would shoot it as often as I could
Birth year gun for me
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If Its been shot already then shoot it, If not then Id have to think about it for a little bit...…………………………………………………….M*

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The catch is I'm 50/50 on sure if it's been fired or not.
Picked it up off a gunshow table. It was wearing third gen stocks.
and in an early second gen black ebay knock-off box.
Not sure why someone would do that....but I bought it.

I see those boxes sell for over a C note...another mystery.
As I think back the seller had some fine SAA stags in his showcase.
Thinking now he may have pulled the stags.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have a 2gen made in 1961 black box with all the goodies, shot six rounds with it then cleaned it real good and have not shot it since!.....That was 30yrs ago,(pull it out and wipe it down now and then)…...have others to shoot:)...........................................M*

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
.........oh, you should have bought the stags to go with it....................................M*

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just check the bolt notch lead-ins, you can see that it's clearly been shot, or at least handled a good bit. Also it looks like the timing is off because the bolt is dropping a little early. You might want to have that checked, then go out and enjoy that pretty SAA. 38 Special is a great fun caliber in an SAA.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 2'nd Gen SAAs are IMO some of the highest quality revolvers Colt ever made. Nickel examples are scarce so if it was in NIB condition I wouldn't shoot it. But it looks like yours has enough wear on it that shooting it wouldn't hurt the value and these 2'nd Gen SAAs are wonderful shooters. So it boils down to just do what you're comfortable doing with it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You can see little marks in the cylinders finish where residue in the frame rubs against the cylinder when it turns. It’s been shot and I’d shoot it too. I have several I never shoot,but that’s because I hate cleaning guns lol

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
That 357 Colt is not a mint example so shoot the heck out of it and enjoy. In fact if it was a mint example I would take it shooting anyway.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The catch is I'm 50/50 on sure if it's been fired or not.
Picked it up off a gunshow table. It was wearing third gen stocks.
and in an early second gen black ebay knock-off box.
Not sure why someone would do that....but I bought it.

I see those boxes sell for over a C note...another mystery.
As I think back the seller had some fine SAA stags in his showcase.
Thinking now he may have pulled the stags.
I hate to say it, but those are all red flags. So I expanded your photo, and yep, it looks renickled to me. If so, it's worse than having "never been shot". Here are the places that concern me. It's very hard to take photos of nickle, but if you can, get some close ups showing the yellow arrow areas.

What you're looking for is if the wear in the leads and the edge of the notch are worn AFTER the nickling, or BEFORE. It's definitely been cycled a lot, to show that though. Many times people will not like a blued gun's turn ring or some rust, and will get it nickled, or even chrome plated. I also seems to see the screw holes look wallowed and out of round. Could be just your photo though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts