Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember seeing an article in American Rifleman back in the 70s of this original 7-1/2” being found in a barn in New Hampshire. Pictures at the time,I thought the gun looked pretty good. Anyone know what happened to it? Pete

If someone knows where back American Rifleman issues are I believe it was in one of the years 75,76,77.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,thanks for your response,I just had my 73rd Birthday and wasn’t sure if I was hallucinating,remembering this bit of history!! I wish I still had the original article,again really appreciate the pictures! I hope someone is taking good care of it. Pete in CA

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Best guess, Colt bought it.
I seriously doubt Colt buys anything, no matter what it is.

Most of the Colt collection is here: Colt Collection

Some of it was unscrupulously traded by R Larry Wilson:

There are also some early Colt revolvers in this Hartford museum:

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm relatively certain that heat decayed the bluing on the barrel and cylinder which is why there is some remaining on the BS, ejector rod housing and TG. About 90% of the CCH is gone. Overall the gun seems to retain about 15% original finish with the balance cleaned and oxidized.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So out of curiosity, how would the forum members describe the finish on the barrel and cylinder for this one? If they were trying to evaluate and rate the gun? What caused that finish pattern to occur?
I would think that "finish pattern" is likely random cleaned metal and oxidation interspersed on the barrel, cylinder and, to a slightly lesser degree, the frame.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
There is a photo of SN 1 in John Parson's 1950 book The Peacemaker and Its Rivals - an account of The Single Action Colt. So it was known at least by then. I don't know when it was discovered. Photo says courtesy of John S. duMont so I suppose he was the owner. DuMont was a well known Colt collector and author. I have his personal copy of the book.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I remember seeing an article in American Rifleman back in the 70s of this original 7-1/2” being found in a barn in New Hampshire. Pictures at the time,I thought the gun looked pretty good. Anyone know what happened to it? Pete

If someone knows where back American Rifleman issues are I believe it was in one of the years 75,76,77.
Don't remember that one, but I always thought the company kept the first one of any model. Don't really know. I recall years ago hearing a story, and you know about stories, but some salesman was traveling the northeast part of the country, and leaving notices here and there along the way that he wished to buy older Colt pistols. And he found a few. One lady responded, and when he called her she said that it had belonged to her husband and it had the serial number one on it. Skeptical, but worth a look. She brought it into the den and sat it on the table, and his eyes bulged when he saw what appeared to be a Colt Patterson in very good shape. I don't recall if it had a low serial number, or the number one. The lady had no real idea what she had, and offered to sell it to him for a couple of hundred dollars. He told her the pistol was quite valuable, and asked her to hold it until he could investigate the price of such a piece. Again, vague on the details, but I think he bought it, for a fair price, and watched as it appreciated in value. No idea what it's worth today. No doubt a princely sum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts