Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry,I don't know how to transfer the auction,but it's #291999302 on GB.An 1878 .45 Colt SAA with the longer 1860 brass backstrap and an (apparently) replaced barrel and cylinder.Not exactly a collectable,but would be a fun shooter. I was interested in this odd piece until he added that all three serial #'s match indicating a restamp to me.Opinions on this oddball?? $800 reserve.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yeah, that would be a nifty popper. One can only assume it is actually a Colt. His pictures are insufficient to know for sure.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Sorry,I don't know how to transfer the auction,but it's #291999302 on GB.An 1878 .45 Colt SAA with the longer 1860 brass backstrap and an (apparently) replaced barrel and cylinder.Not exactly a collectable,but would be a fun shooter. I was interested in this odd piece until he added that all three serial #'s match indicating a restamp to me.Opinions on this oddball?? $800 reserve.
Interesting "cobble job." Can't say as I ever saw a SAA shipped with brass, elongated t.g so I think you're right...restamped to match.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Back in the 60's Andy Anderson,the fast draw holster maker,called me on the phone & asked if I would make 3 pr. of custom grips for him,he had gone to a local foundry & had 3 sets of elongated brass bk, str's & trg. strps made to fit on a colt but no grips available for them, there were only 2 custom grip makers in So, Cal back then,one was Fuzzy Forant & the other was me.I made them w/maple for him.The other 2 sets went to Walt Ivey & James Drury[the virginian] he gave me a custom fast draw holster for payment,later on Drurys got damaged & they were sold & turned up 40 yrs later in a gun show in the middle west less the grips w/paper work verifying they were his,Bob Arganbright bought them & he remembered I had made the original grips & asked me if I'd make another set like the originals which I did.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I like the 1860-esque Grip, but that Front Sight just does not go with it at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts