Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a SAA with a beautiful case colored frame, with blued barrel and cylinder. It has serial #352358 (1928) on the frame. #133117 K (1890?) on the trigger guard. #321278 (1912) on the heel. The “factory letter” states the color as blue, not case colors, and list the serial number as 352358 which is on the frame. List shipped date as January 31, 1930.

The owner claims it is all original. He says that during the Depression Era, Colt assembled pistols from left over parts. Has anyone come across a SAA like this before?

He is asking for a lot of money, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at: [email protected]

Thanks, Richard

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
The SAAs during the 20’s and 30s were some of the best fitted guns and they didn’t cobble them together with unmatched parts.

If the gun is beautiful case it’s most likely been re-done. And the parts that don’t match were donor parts from SAAs that were in probably lesser/better condition to match the refinished frame.

Some letters state “blue” and simply left out the CCH frame part. In that case it was just a detail thing.

How much is “a lot if money”?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SAAs during the 20’s and 30s were some of the best fitted guns and they didn’t cobble them together with unmatched parts.

If the gun is beautiful case it’s most likely been re-done. And the parts that don’t match were donor parts from SAAs that were in probably lesser/better condition to match the refinished frame.

Some letters state “blue” and simply left out the CCH frame part. In that case it was just a detail thing.

How much is “a lot if money”?
He wants more than $6500, which is the asking price for another SAA in the same era, that I referred him to. He said his was in better condition (true), and that his was unique because of the 3 different serial numbers. He said he was thinking of putting it on 'gunbroker" for $20,000!

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Richard:
This is an odd hobby.
What do you seek?
Do you seek a beautiful first generation SAA to shoot, admire or buy as an asset?
Something to show friends when they visit, put in a holster and walk around town, or something to trump the other guns in your collection?
I say this because there’s this “magical window”, a window from about $1500-$2500.
At $1500, you get just that...a $1500 SAA.
You may get $1500 out of it next year if you sell, maybe not. Then there’s the $2500 mark where you start getting into a nice looking, representative SAA with wear, maybe even 90% of the finish gone, but...it’s a “righteous” gun. It’s complete, and not molested by its previous owners.
Once it seems you get above that $2,500 mark you start getting into “condition” whereas by every thousand dollars it gets that much better.
So you decide, don’t let us.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I own 1 frankeingun like your describing. I only bought it because at the time I felt it had 2 things going for it. It had a U.S. stamped frame and it was a Cristy 22Lr conversion. I actually had wanted one of those. I would not buy that gun today. The only way I would even consider a parts gun is it must be very inexpensive and a good shooter.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The story might be 100% true fact or it might be just a story to sell a refinished parts gun so he can buy something that IS an authentic gun. $6500+ is a big gamble for something you will have to explain for as long as you own it and definitely if you ever try to sell it. If the money is not a problem, there are a lot of Colts out there that you won't have to explain for less money.
Let him put it on GB and see what happens.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is no way I would buy that. Unless he has a binder full of documentation showing it left the factory like that, it's just a story that can't be proven. It sounds like a parts gun because as Bill already mentioned and others on this board will agree that era was the pinnacle of SAA quality construction. It sounds like he bought the story, not the gun, and now if trying to get you to buy the story. For that price, you could buy an extremely nice SAA that didn't need explaining. There was another thread recently that the owner of an SAA desperately wanted it to be a special SAA and refused all logical input on why it wasn't. Get Kopec's book and start reading before buying anything. This board in itself is a valuable education as it helps you pick out the fact from the fantasy.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
That would be a hard pass and tell them thank you for sharing it with you but you are no longer interested
No sense trying to explain all of this as they are not realistic in what they have and should list it on gunbroker to get a reality check on what they have

There is no way in this day and age with info like we have would I pay for something like this
It sounds like the seller is one trying to get back money from when they overpaid or trying to make a premium off a story
I would look for a nice original piece
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Don't get into the Gee I gotta have it mode. Sounds like the seller is an old time Snake oil salesmen. Colt did offer a Full Blue finish but the letter would state Full Blue. If it just says blue that means the exact same as Color Cased and blue as mentioned above. I recently Sold my U.S. Calvary for $5,000. I had never shot it but I would have trusted it to shoot just fine as it was a tight gun. Do yourself a favor and purchase a couple of good reference books. And then read them.
A good example on why these books are a wealth of knowledge is the explanation on the number stamped on the loading gate. That number never matches the serial number. That is an assembly number that should match the assembly number stamped into the bottom of the frame and under the trigger guard. As in unless you remove the trigger guard you will never find that. That is an important part of an All Matching Numbers Colt SAA.
Check out past Auction prices too so you can get familiar with reasonable prices, and Gunbroker too. There are way better Deals out there for that amount of cash. I wouldn't offer him $1,500 for it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You've received some great input/advice here, so I'll just echo that $6500 is a definite no (unless there is documentation that supports unique/rare features).

Just my opinion, but I really dislike gun sellers like this one appears to be. Either through ignorance or arrogance they are unrealistic on their price and won't listen to input. worse, they think they can take advantage of someone by deceptive descriptions and unsupported stories.
I've met a ton of them at gun stores and shows and seen them all over the online marketplace. I take special note of who they are and make it a point to never do business with them.

Tread lightly with this seller and don't get attached to this deal. There are always great Colt's to be found at a fair price.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Colt DID NOT mix numbers back in the '30s and sell them as new production. You are looking at a refinished "parts gun" and the seller is a flat out crook! He's trying to take advantage of your inexperience. I've been where you're at! Scum that gives all dealers a bad name. If not all buffed to death in the refinish its worth 1500.00 max! JMO!

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I am looking to purchase a SAA with a beautiful case colored frame, with blued barrel and cylinder. It has serial #352358 (1928) on the frame. #133117 K (1890?) on the trigger guard. #321278 (1912) on the heel. The “factory letter” states the color as blue, not case colors, and list the serial number as 352358 which is on the frame. List shipped date as January 31, 1930.

The owner claims it is all original. He says that during the Depression Era, Colt assembled pistols from left over parts. Has anyone come across a SAA like this before?

He is asking for a lot of money, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at: [email protected]

Thanks, Richard
Richard.
If you post some pictures here, it may well settle the question of originality without further ado

·
Registered
709 Posts
He wants more than $6500, which is the asking price for another SAA in the same era, that I referred him to. He said his was in better condition (true), and that his was unique because of the 3 different serial numbers. He said he was thinking of putting it on 'gunbroker" for $20,000!
I have nothing to say other than If I were in your shoes I would not walk away from that guy, I would run as fast as I could away from him.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
The only true statement that the seller made was "that his was unique because of the 3 different serial numbers". But that certainly does not make it right,

1 - 20 of 41 Posts