Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking this is a Colt factory Sheriff Model, but haven't gotten the letter yet. :confused: Can the members of the forum find anything wrong with it? ;) Thanks for the help.:)

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
All I can suggest is to close your eyes and click your heels together 3 times and say "I wish this gun was an original sheriff's model, I wish this gun was an original sheriff's model, I wish this gun was an original sheriff's model" and when you wake up you may be back in Kansas but that SAA ain't going to be an original sheriff's model Hugh! :)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I am not a collector, but it almost looks like there are wrench marks on the bbl.
It also looks like an inspectors mark in several places DFC, could be a reworked military gun?
It looks like the #s on the frame & triggerguard are different.
What are the bore & chambers like? With a 5 digit serial # it's a black powder era gun.

Hope a collector chimes in soon.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going bid on a similar gun as a phone bidder last week. It was a supposed 1888 model with no ejector. It was fitted a 4" barrel that had a tapped hole at the place on the barrel where the ejector housing is normally fashioned. Since there was no hole in the frame for the ejector one would surmise the barrel was not the original. In addition the barrel had absolutely no markings so it may or may not have been a Colt barrel. (maybe Uberti:rolleyes::) I figured maybe it could be had on the cheap so thought I would take a shot at it.

When the bidding started it went almost instantly to $1,000.00 so I said adios and hung up. I do not know what it actually brought. In my estimation your gun is at least as desirable as that one.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Someones fanciful idea of what he thought a Sheriffs mod. should be. Can you see the pipe wrench marks on the barrel? The DFC military markings on some parts,& the mixed serial numbers? Why would anyone think this thing was other than a parts gun put together? It's a darn shame some one thought an original military pistol should be transformed into something it never was. Nick

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I think it is very likeable, just as it is.

Love that Hammer...someone likely Hot Forged it out and sculpted it to the form we see, which took some finess anyway.

It was somebody's Baby once!

Pipe Wrench Jaw 'bites' and all...

How 'bout some images showing the front-on view of the Frame under the Barrel?

Being that IS the critical most area of a non-Ejector Model, and, you seem to have left images showing THAT area, out...Lol...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Come on guys,:bang_wall: some of you caught it and apparently some didn't. :confused: The posting was made with "tongue in cheek"! :rolleyes: I know it is a converted military gun that someone in the past, maybe a "wanna be" gunfighter, or maybe a REAL gunfighter, modified to suit his own taste!:cool:

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
My highly UNeducated guess is that a real live living on the edge character thought he needed it for real, many years ago, and back then it was a cheap junker that he or someone else customized it and he likely carried it for real reason to him. In a way, all of us like unmolested guns but they might be less used than a cap pistol. This one has likely history of someone packing it for a perceived real need, good or bad. It likely has real history that unmolested safe queens don't.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Being a new kid on the block I hadn't seen this before. I think it's very cool. Such things can sure fire up the imagination can't they? Thanks, Hugh, for showing it......again.

Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
Howdy Buddy,

thanks for posting this thread, I took a long time imagining me his story... I got a real film!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I like that old Colt!

I expect it was someone's serious and in earnest 'hide out' way back when...they knew what they were doing, and they or a pal did the modifications for it to be just how he wanted it.

If I saw that one at a Gun Show and it was priced 'within reason', I'd be going Home with it with a big smile!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I call it a "Spoonbill" like a spoonbill duck. Along with the type some were triggerless or had the trigger wired back and they called them "Slipguns". It`s sans front sight that also was a trademark of a slip gun. Don`t need a sight for handshaking distance that they were altered for across a card table.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Surprised it had a trigger or wasn't wired back at the very least. Wonder if someone later "fixed it".

Either E. Kieth or some one else along those time frames has something very similar pictured in their writings.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.