Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt SAA\'s NF

I have just purchased the following Colt SAA New Frontier Revolvers all NIB with papers.
7.5", .44-40, M P4970, s/n 12XXXNF $1300.00

7.5", .44spl, M P4770, s/N 07XXXNF $1200.00

5.5", .44spl, M P4750, s/n 14XXXNF, $1450.00

When I checked the $ against my 2000 Schwing Cat of Firearms, these appeared to be a bit below listed values.

This and the fact that I have an excellent and understanding wife led me to take a chance on these purchases.

What are the respective DOB's?

Did I screw myself with these buys?

If not, what are the prospects of appreciation?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Colt SAA\'s NF

I think the most desirable configuration is the 5.5 barrel in 45lc.Frankly, I think most people prefer that caliber for any SAA variation.In general, New Frontiers just don't seem to command the same money as the regular SAA-personally I think they are superior-I just like adjustable sights.I don't think you'll lose money but I'm sorry to say I don't see much appreciation there either.Buy guns that please you, not as investment vehicles.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Hi,

DOBs on your NFs are as follows:

7.5", .44-40, M P4970, s/n 12XXXNF 1981

7.5", .44spl, M P4770, s/N 07XXXNF 1980

5.5", .44spl, M P4750, s/n 14XXXNF 1981

Did you pay too much? I don't know. I would say that you definitely paid at the top end of the range. But, that's not all bad as Colt revolvers go up in value, not down, and you bought NIB guns with papers, etc. A BIG plus. The .45 Colts are the most desirable followed by the 44-40s and .357 Mags and then the .44 Specials (assuming 3rd Gen, 2nd Gen valuations are different).

I own and like New Frontiers, better than plain SAAs and I believe that there is good potential for appreciation with them. I think, IMHO, that like some other Colt revolvers (e.g. Colt .357, Colt Trooper) that the NFs are sleepers that will be sought after at some point in the not too distant future on account of sheer scarcity if nothing else. Colt only made about 4,500 of the 2nd Gen NFs and about 15,000 of the 3rd Gen NFs (what you have) and there are no plans to make any more.

The reality is that the Colt single action collectors and the Colt double action collectors seem to be two different communities (as evidenced by the domination of this forum by double action guys, myself included) and the Colt single action guys for the most part look down their noses at the New Frontiers with their flat topstraps and adjustable sights as being some unholy adulteration of a pure SAA which is really pure bunk. As more and more people begin buying Colts, which is already happening, expect this to change as New Frontiers begin to be seen as a rare variation of the SAA and their desirabilty increases accordingly. Provided you don't go out and firesale them tomorrow you will not get hurt on these guns.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Mine is probably the most common version-long barrel 45lc.
I think a part of the NF value deficit is the fact that most were made during a time when Colt pushed them through the factory.I shot mine for the first time just last year and had to return it to Colt to correct a b/c gap problem.
I am happy to say that they fixed it for free-remarkable for a product that was made so long ago.I would love to have a 5.5 barrel gun(I'd pay the same as you did for your 5.5 )(tried unsucessfully to get a replacement barrel for mine).Just last year, I tried to sell mine on GA when it was NIB-albeit a 99% gun,and priced less than 1G,it didn't sell.Now I consider it a keeper.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on a NF with a 5.5 in either .44 or .45 but I want a shooter. That pretty much separates me from the majority of SAA collectors

·
Registered
324 Posts

I have a long .45 NF also.
I have an unfluted cylinder for it that I have yet to fit. I think it'll look good with the squared lines of the revolver.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Wish I could find one in 357. In that caliber the adjustable sights would really come into thier own.
SA, you need to fit that cylinder, here's what it looks like (that's a factory 45) [image]www.photobucket.com[/image]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts