Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this Detective Special last evening and I was wanting to know a little about it. It was a sample and display revolver with a low serial number, kept by the Colt Factory and sold at the Greg Martin Auctions in 2009. The serial number is RD0002.

I was wondering if anyone had the Greg Martin auction catalog that would show this gun and the listing information on this DS.

Thanks

John

Sorry about the poor pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Great find and congrats. You might look up contacting the Auction site and see if they have the info archived.Chances are they probably do....Best of luck.....Mike

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I would think that the rd may stand for research and developement since it was most likely a pre production revolver? Just a guess as I am not an expert but is logical which is why I am most likely wrong lol

·
Registered
907 Posts
Forum member Buckspen made a spreadsheet on this auction. It shows your gun as a "standard model" with no additional comments that sold for a hammer price of $900 on 01/18/2009.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Happy to do it, John. I'll send a copy to anyone who asks. There were some terrific guns sold in those auctions and we will probably never see the like again.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
6,209 Posts
It appears the gun was maybe a pre-production gun of the series that was re-introduced in 1993. It has all the features of the production run. In fact the only difference with it and the last production DS of 1986 being the Colt/Pachamyr stocks instead of the checkered wood that was used on the 1986 and earlier detective specials.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Great looking gun John!

I bought a Colt Officer's ACP Commencement Issue Special Edition with serial #FA00001. It was originally sold through the Greg Martin Auction as well.

You'll note the same Archive Letter date, shipping date, and even though my seller inked out the 'shipped to person and address', it can be readily seen in good light in person and is the same as yours. It was also retained by Colt's for the same reason as yours.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buckspen check the catalog listing for this gun.

"The description of your gun (Detective Special serial number RD0002) reads as follows in the Colt Factory Archives Part 1 catalog (January 18, 2009):
Colt Detective Special Double Action Revolver, with Shrouded Barrel and Low Serial Number, and Factory Letter
Serial No. RD0002, .38 Special caliber, 6-shot fluted cylinder, 2 3/16-inch shrouded barrel with model and caliber marking on left side and maker and address on right. Rampant colt logo on sideplate. Black checkered rubber wraparound grips with nickel finish rampant colt medallion inlays.
Condition: Fine. 99% blue, minor handling marks.
Notes: Retained by factory as sample and display revolver.
Provenance: Colt Factory Archives Firearms CollectionEstimate $400 / $600".

That about sums it up. I will call Colt and see if they have a build date for it.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
It appears the gun was maybe a pre-production gun of the series that was re-introduced in 1993. It has all the features of the production run. In fact the only difference with it and the last production DS of 1986 being the Colt/Pachamyr stocks instead of the checkered wood that was used on the 1986 and earlier detective specials.
That would be my guess, too. Many of the guns in these auctions were serial number 1, 2 or 3 of a particular series in a model category. I can't find a serial number listing anywhere with the "RD" prefix but some sources say that the "fourth version" of the Detective Special (with the black rubber grips) started in 1993. Maybe someone on this forum with such a gun could check and see if they have a "RD" prefix serial number.

Detective Specials with serial number RD0001, RD0002 and RD0003 were sold in the first Archive auction. All the auction descriptions were very much alike.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a NIB DS with a Serial Number 9552RD that I have listed in my records as a 1994. I believe it has wood stocks, blue plastic box, and Stagecoach outer cover. I haven't looked at it lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts