Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering a Colt Satin Nickel Diamondback but a bit leery. The ad reads....This finish is rare! I would rate this one 97%. This may have been a COLT Custom Shop revolver due to the front sight, and the finish, but not sure. Bought from original owner, but he can't find the box. Comes with a set of BADGER laminated grips, the original grips were taken off and stored when the gun was bought, so they are in like new condition. I have provided numerous pictures showing the condition of the gun, so look closely, and ask questions. SER.# S86xxx .....

Anyone familiar with these?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Nice looking Diamondback - I have no idea if they came in that finish though. Was this made during the time they were doing the ColtGuard finishes??

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
i won't say they were never made but i have never heard of or seen a satin db. however colt did produce a few electroless nickel db's through their custom shop which is what the one in the picture might be.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
According to Colt, satin nickel was brushed electrolytic nickel. Since they offered that on some semi-autos starting around 1969 IIRC, it is possible that a DB may have been ordered with that finish. Here is one previous thread: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...ference-between-colts-e-nickel-coltguard.html. Especially check the reference to Tommix's pictures of Coltguard DBs with boxes. Without the original box, I question whether it can be verified. :cool:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably will pass since there are many possible doors left open without the box. There is always another deal tomorrow. Thanks all again.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
$999 on ARMSLIST.
$999 for a Diamondback with no original box that would verifiy the possibly rare finish, and with aftermarket stocks. I think you were smart to pass on this one. Wait for the right one. It will come along. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
All of the Diamondbacks done in E-nickel were done by the Custom Shop as I understand it.

I noticed A1A's reference to the other thread... All I can say is "Wow". I never saw that thread before. But I don't come around the forum as much as I used to.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There are more. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-diamondback-38-electroless-nickel-value.html. The point is that there were only a few (20 or so is bantered about) "factory" Coltguard Diamondbacks and they were done by the Custom Shop from originally blued guns. Because the Colt records do not usually include guns done by the Custom Shop, it may well be that the only way to verify a given gun being part of that group is to have the original box with Custom Shop label. Knowing that the serial range is correct is helpful, but not definitive. Any others that might have been special original orders should be verifiable by archive letter. None in that category have been shown to my knowledge. All others would be speculation or after market. Any possibly done after market "by Colt" would be subject to the same problem with records; that is, if you don't have an original invoice or work order, there aren't any. JMO :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
One could argue that all of the E-nickel Diamondbacks are re-finished. :) But the difference is that the gun was never retailed before it was refinished by the Custom Shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts