Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years did they come out, was there any overlap between the 3x20 and 4x20, so forth.

Many thanks

David

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
The original 3X scopes were US made. The later 4X scopes were Japanese made. I don't know the exact time periods for each but the 4X was marketed by the 1980s...maybe a bit earlier. I'm guessing any overlap was due to existing stocks of 3X scopes sitting on store shelves or with distributors.

Colt also marketed riflescopes at different times...apparently none met with any significant market success. There was the Coltmaster and Coltmaster Juniors scopes marketed in the later 1950s and maybe early '60s. The Coltmaster was for centerfire rifles in 4X and 6X magnification...I think the real problem with them was that they used some kind of funky mounting system which is difficult to find today. I have a couple of them mounted on Coltsman rifles built on the FN action. If they had simply used a tube for standard Redfield or Weaver mounting systems maybe they would have enjoyed more success. At least the Coltmaster Junior was for rimfire rifles and used standard .22 tip-off mounts.

When Colt marketed the AR-15 Delta Elite they used a rubber armored Tasco scope...not exactly the best scope on the market. It wasn't marked Colt in any way I'm aware of...just a standard Tasco rubber armored scope you could pick up anywhere at the time. It wasn't exactly a package enhancement but the entire rifle/scope package today is a collectible.

I have Colt marked 3-9X scopes mound on several rifles...I've no idea who made them for Colt. I purchased them new maybe fifteen years ago...maybe a bit longer. I also have a rifle with a 10X Colt marked tactical scope...again no idea who made it for Colt. They all seem to be very high quality optical equipment.

A couple of years ago Colt was selling Leupold scopes with the Colt logo as a shadow effect on the bell. It was sold through Colt Competition and was quite pricey if I remember.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original 3X scopes were US made. The later 4X scopes were Japanese made. I don't know the exact time periods for each but the 4X was marketed by the 1980s...maybe a bit earlier. I'm guessing any overlap was due to existing stocks of 3X scopes sitting on store shelves or with distributors.

. There was the Coltmaster and Coltmaster Juniors scopes marketed in the later 1950s and maybe early '60s.
Oh cool, I never new about the Coltmaster scopes, truly a wealth of information here. I knew the later 4x scopes were Japanese made, but the later 3x were also (I have 4 of them, all Japanese made, have yet to find one of the US made ones for sale).

Thanks much, learning every day.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I have Colt 3X AR-15 scopes made in Japan, so not all 3X scopes were made in the United States. I would have to check my catalog collection, but I speculate that the 4X Colt-marked scopes first appeared in the Mid-to-late 1980s.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wish someone would get back to importing them from Japan, the Chinese knock-offs don't last like the real things.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I have Colt 3X AR-15 scopes made in Japan, so not all 3X scopes were made in the United States. I would have to check my catalog collection, but I speculate that the 4X Colt-marked scopes first appeared in the Mid-to-late 1980s.
You are correct...I remember reading somewhere that GIs would buy them in Japan for use in Vietnam. How prevalent that was or how well they worked in combat may be unknown. I suspect many of the Japanese made 3X scopes may have been brought back by GIs.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
You are correct...I remember reading somewhere that GIs would buy them in Japan for use in Vietnam. How prevalent that was or how well they worked in combat may be unknown. I suspect many of the Japanese made 3X scopes may have been brought back by GIs.
I doubt that story. To be true, there would have to be Colt-marked, Japanese-made scopes for sale in Japan that somehow got to Vietnam and onto GI rifles. The 3X scopes seen now (and then) were all sold by Colt in regular commerce.

I will have to do a catalog search to pin down dates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
735 Posts
I was looking for a Colt scope made by Hakko, found that Hakko had become Japan Optics Ltd.

I have a Hakko blue ring 4x electro-dot on my Colt 6920. I had gone through 2 knock off UTG scopes, was looking for a real Colt scope--someone on another forum made me a deal. It's a very neat scope, more like a red dot, fast to acquire not great for 300+ yard shooting (hard to index holdover/windage without crosshairs) but I don't think that scope was ever branded Colt.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Colt_AR.M16_Rifles/HAKKO4x21.jpg

My first UTG/Leapers 'Colt clone' scope had mil-dots and I got hits out at 400 with it 'til it crapped out after a couple seasons of tactical rifle matches. I have another one on my CMMG dedicated .22 upper.

Real Colt branded scopes have gone through the roof in the past few years. Why an obsolete design is trending at $400 plus is silly. You'd think with Colt making retro rifles, and other companies making retro AR's there would be some demand for new ones at retail (ie NOT collector) prices. All we have are cheap China made imports that do not hold up to moderately vigorous use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why an obsolete design is trending at $400 plus is silly.
You could say that about a lot of things though. Why is an obsolete SP1 carbine costing $1600 when you can buy a better, brand new Colt 6920 for $800. Is what it is.....

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I think the SP1 is considered obsolete as the M16A1 been superseded in military service by the A2/A3/A4/M4 series with different barrel twists, furniture, sights, etc. The newer models use different ammunition (though the same caliber) with different bullet weights. Colt and clone makers don't make the SP1 version anymore...all have upgraded to the later designs.

It's kinda like the M1 Garand...obsolete in the military sense but not in any practical sense as it's still as capable as it ever was...the nature of its designed purpose has more or less passed it by.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the SP1 is considered obsolete as the M16A1 been superseded in military service by the A2/A3/A4/M4 series with different barrel twists, furniture, sights, etc. The newer models use different ammunition (though the same caliber) with different bullet weights. Colt and clone makers don't make the SP1 version anymore...all have upgraded to the later designs.

It's kinda like the M1 Garand...obsolete in the military sense but not in any practical sense as it's still as capable as it ever was...the nature of its designed purpose has more or less passed it by.
Nice explanation and comparison... thanks. I quess it is like my old CJ5 jeep compared to a new Rubicon, times have changed and technology has improved but both will do the job still. I'm just a person who likes the nostolgia of the older stuff and will work around the shortcommings they may have. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh me to (likes the older stuff). Good explanation Snidely. I didn't mean obsolete as in "bad" per se. Just in that in comparison the 6920 has better handguards, twist rate, so forth so on, fence around mag release etc.. From a purely "weapon to go to war" standpoint I would take a 6920 over a SP1 carbine. But. I really sincerely doubt I will ever go to war in the later years of my life.

Disclaimer here. I own 7 SP1's and zero 6920. So yeah, I like the older stuff also. But was just pointing out that the opinion it was silly that an obsolete scope would bring that much, while valid, does not take into consideration how many "obsolete" weapons and such bring far more money than current "better" stuff. No Luger is arguably better than any HK USP. I have owned many many Lugers over the years and never seen one that was reliable enough that I would consider using one for defense. But. I have paid in excess of 5 times what was the most I have paid for an HK pistol.

Value is a really subjective weird thing.

I collect odd AK variants also, probably the very best AK I have is a Steyr Maadi. Less than 1900 are still around in complete form. Yet if anyone asks over $2500 for one, it will never ever sell. Other AK's which were imported in lots of 10,000+ (polytech) will many times sell for $3000 plus. And the quality on them is far worse. So go figure.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts