Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt make the Scout in 22WMR? I saw two copies at gun show today. One mfg in 1961 the other a little later not sure of the date. Both had 4.75" barrels and looked to be original in all phases. Have a chance to acquire and need to know.
Thanks

------------------
Everything's chicken but the beak.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
The Scout was made from 1958 to 1972.
It was available in .22LR with an interchangeable .22 Magnum cylinder.

Finishes were blue or nickel, both with hard rubber grips.

Barrel lengths were 4.25", 4.75", and 9.5".

The frame is aluminum alloy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dfariswheel,

I forgot to mention that these models were Peacemaker Scouts. I don't know if that makes any difference.

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scouts were made from 1957 -1971.They were first available with dual cylinders in 1964,they could also be had with a single cylinder.The early guns will say .22 LR or .22 magnum on the barrel.The dual cylinder models(1964)will say .22 cal. When the dual cylinder models were added to the line,the muzzles were all crowned to designate a .22 mag gun,the .22 LR guns previously had a flat muzzle.They were made in nickel(known as K-Scouts because of the "K" serial number prefix.These nickel guns all were made of a heavier alloy and had walnut stocks standard from the factory. Walnut was also available for an extra $5 on the blue models. A 1961 gun would have been a single cylinder only,that year is cool because it was Colt's 125th anniversary and all of the guns came with a special commemorative medallion.There were 4 factory finishes for the Scout,Duotone/blue/nickel/and "Midnite Black",the later was sort of like a black paint that was applied on the heavier alloy frames used for the "K" Scout. These are known as "62 Scouts" and came standard with plastic stag grips.There were many more changes through the Scout years,the early guns did not have pinned barrels,later they did, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your expertise. Now for the $64 question....in approx 90% condition, how much should I expect to pay for a 1961 version, 22 mag, single cylinder, 4.75", blue with plastic grips? No box or papers or medalion.

Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldn't want to pay more than about $225 in 90% without box.If you want a shooter,I think you might be happier with a Peacemaker or New Frontier. IMO they were a vast improvement over the earlier alloy guns in every way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd just show ya mine. It's a '61, unfired, with both cylinders, presentation case and the medallion/keychain.
Sorry, the pic is a little blurry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts