Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
I'm not sure anyone really knows definitive dates when these things were packed in boxes with Colts. I have several new-in-the-box-with-all-the-papers Frontier Scouts, Buntline Scouts, Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers that came to me with these keychain screwdrivers. And I have some similar guns that didn't have them in the boxes when I got them. The problem is that a previous owner may have removed it from the box or added one to it. There is no way of knowing if this happened.

My guess is that they were used in the 1960's, 1970's and probably until some time in the 1980's. Some folks say they they were only packed with guns with adjustable sights; however, a recent thread here stated that they screwdriver doesn't fit the Accro sight.

A little trivia about the screwdrivers. I have had a couple of them that were in little black boxes that looked very much like the black boxes used for Colt Single Action Army revolvers in the 1950's and early 1960's. Also, did you know that they were also made with nickel finish? I have a couple of them, one of which came to me in a box with a Colt Python, 4 inch barrel with nickel finish which was made right around 1970.

Most of the ones I have that came with Frontier Scouts and other .22 revolvers, are in small manila "coin" envelopes. Later, during the era of styorfoam boxes, some were packed in transparent plastic bags.

I hope this information is of interest to you.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Buckspen, another interesting piece of Colt history. I've only ever seen the nickel ones in John Ogle's book on Colt memorabilia. Colt's were rather advanced in their understanding of marketing and what people today refer to as 'branding'. The only firm that seems to come close in marketing effort over the decades is Winchester.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey there RacingSnake;

I have that very book and I'm looking through it trying to find those nickel plated screwdrivers. Could you help an old man find them? Do you happen to have a page number or chapter even? I've looked all over this darn book with nary a strike on that item.

Thanks for any help.

Bud

Thanks Buckspen, another interesting piece of Colt history. I've only ever seen the nickel ones in John Ogle's book on Colt memorabilia. Colt's were rather advanced in their understanding of marketing and what people today refer to as 'branding'. The only firm that seems to come close in marketing effort over the decades is Winchester.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Hey there RacingSnake;

I have that very book and I'm looking through it trying to find those nickel plated screwdrivers. Could you help an old man find them? Do you happen to have a page number or chapter even? I've looked all over this darn book with nary a strike on that item.

Thanks for any help.

Bud
Bud: Try page 152. Your welcome! :)

And I'm pretty sure I've got a stainless one somewhere. But where, how or when I acquired it, I've no idea.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey thanks my friend.

Whoda known they'd list a crewdriver under "keychains".

Thanks a million.

Bud

Bud: Try page 152. Your welcome! :)

And I'm pretty sure I've got a stainless one somewhere. But where, how or when I acquired it, I've no idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts