Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what years the little black/round three pronged sight tools (screwdrivers) were included with Colt pistols and revolvers?

How do you place a date/time of issue on one of those little guys? Or know which vintage guns they are appropriately placed with?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The key chain type screwdrivers were postwar.I don't know exactly when they first appeared but I'll guess in the early to mid 1950's. They ended right around 1977-78. I have several target sighted guns from 1980 that no longer came with the screwdrivers.

The screwdrivers were only included with the target sighted guns,fixed sights didn't come with them. I'd be interested to know exactly when they were first used myself.

------------------
Jeff

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Barrocky seemed to hit the nail on the head. I have NIB 4" nickel 38SPL Diamondback 1976 has screwdriver, the NIB 6" nickel 22LR Diamondback 1978 does not have one. So they must have discontinued sometime in betwwen. Dick

·
Registered
573 Posts
Don't know exactly when they started, but I think they came in the box inside of a manila envelope to avoid having the screwdriver rolling around scratching the gun. Don't know when, or if, Colt stopped making them but I still see them for sale regularly at gun shows. How about the other Colt screwdrivers? The ones I can think of offhand are the one for the Colt Woodsman (pre-war), the one with the yellow plastic handle (what was it for again? Match Target?), and the L-shaped ones for the SAA and M1911. Were there any other Colt screwdrivers made? Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,469 Posts
The Pre-War target guns have a black steel, hexigon-shaped, pencil style screwdriver about four inches long, with a small round projection on the end about an inch long, ending in the small blade used for adjusting the small screws used on Pre-War sights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts