Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I purchased a Chapman gunsmith set several years ago and work great. So far they have fit every screw I've tried. It is a precision set (not China junk) and are U.S. made in Connecticut. A lot of screwdrivers are sold a gunsmith sets but have the tapered heads and not parallel. Parallel tips work the best for gun screws especially getting into holes. I Don't know if Brownells sells them or not never checked. Here is a link and a video from ChapmanUSA and a link on ebay.

http://www.chapmanmfg.com/HK8900.html

New Chapman Screwdriver Set 9600 Made in The U s A Gunsmith Gun Smith | eBay

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
If all you need is just a driver for the Colt grip screws, you'll need a Brownell's Magna-Tip bit number .210-3:

MAGNA-TIP SUPER SET BITS | Brownells

If you want bits to fit all other Colt DA screws you should buy the following:
.150-2
.150-3
.180-2
.180-3
.210-2
.210-3
The extra thickness' are to insure a fit on screws with slots that do vary slightly.

I also recommend buying a Brownell's "law enforcement" size handle. These are the perfect size for good control.
You can get a magnetic bit retention or a clip-tip retention. Both are very useful.

LAW ENFORCEMENT HANDLES | Brownells

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If all you need is just a driver for the Colt grip screws, you'll need a Brownell's Magna-Tip bit number .210-3:

MAGNA-TIP SUPER SET BITS | Brownells

If you want bits to fit all other Colt DA screws you should buy the following:
.150-2
.150-3
.180-2
.180-3
.210-2
.210-3
The extra thickness' are to insure a fit on screws with slots that do vary slightly.

I also recommend buying a Brownell's "law enforcement" size handle. These are the perfect size for good control.
You can get a magnetic bit retention or a clip-tip retention. Both are very useful.

LAW ENFORCEMENT HANDLES | Brownells
That is correct I want them for grips. I need two sizes as some of the grips have a smaller or wider screw. Which other would fit besides the .210-3

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The Brownell's Magna-tips are some of the nicest screw driver bits I've seen. When I bought my set they didn't have the "Super Sets" with all the different sizes.
Well I bought the ones dfariswheel recommended, and then I looked at all our guns and decided what bits I really needed and got them. Now whenever I order from Brownells' I get a few more.

The Chapman set is good too, I have several of them: mine, my dad's & brother's.

But with the Magna-tip bits you can almost get a bit that is a perfect fit, or at least real close.

I like the LEO clip tip driver handle over the magnetic one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a set of Grace's HG-7 gunsmith screwdrivers. When I talked to a fellow from Grace's company who's name was Dan and he found out I like Colt guns he sent me a complimentary 3 set pack of screwdrivers made specially for Colt firearms. I thought that was a real classy move by the company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.