Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped a the LGS today where they recently took in two, what I believe to be 2nd Generation Colt Dragoons. I tried using the Colt serial number look up website to see if they provided any information on them but the results showed original 1849 pockets and some other percussion revolvers but no Dragoons. Are the sn's for 2nd Generation revolvers in that database? They say Colt's on them and there are no visible Italian proof marks or other marks that might indicate totally foreign copies. Sadly, both revolvers had been cleaned to sort of bright and the brass parts buffed - maybe a bit of pitting here and there as well. At first I thought they might be stainless steel (and maybe they are - I don't know if Colt offered them in that material) but think they are carbon steel. Mechanically good and tight and would certainly make good shooters. What would folks think these might be worth? $300/$400? I may be able to stop by there tomorrow and take a picture.

·
Registered
574 Posts
F series 2nd Gen Dragoon serial numbers are from 25100 though 34500. Serial numbers were shared across the three models.
C series 2nd Gen 3rd mode dragoon serial numbers ere from 20901 through 25099

Colt only made SS second gen 1851 Navy, 1860 Army and 1861 Navy.

There were 94 3rd model Dragoons that had barrels and cylinders in the white These all had GCA prefixed serial numbers

$300 to $400 is a really good price for one in 80 to 90% condition

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
i recently bought a second generation Dragoon in 95% condition for 450.00. Ones in the condition you are describing have no collector value and only might have value a shooters in the bores are excellent. Probably no more that $200.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I managed to pick one of them up but after getting it home and cleaning it up, I think I will move it along. It has an excellent bore and mechanically is very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
F series 2nd Gen Dragoon serial numbers are from 25100 though 34500. Serial numbers were shared across the three models.
C series 2nd Gen 3rd mode dragoon serial numbers ere from 20901 through 25099

Colt only made SS second gen 1851 Navy, 1860 Army and 1861 Navy.

There were 94 3rd model Dragoons that had barrels and cylinders in the white These all had GCA prefixed serial numbers

$300 to $400 is a really good price for one in 80 to 90% condition
But, based on the pictures, $300 would be pushing it

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Since you already have it, it may be worth keeping. They are a hoot to shoot and you said it is excellent mechanically. Just handle it a lot and let it naturally start to patina and brown, it looks good now and will look better with a nice brown patina on it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd keep them and shoot them; how could you possibly hurt them? - dandak is right - let them "age" a little more; they don't look that bad now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts