Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand this one bit.
This Forum is over 3 years old and has less than 600 members and way, way, less messages than other forums.
I just checked out the H&R forum, of all places, it's only about 1 year old and has just over 3500 members and about 50,000 messages. We must be doing something wrong, should we be Shooting, buying, and Collecting H&R's. Are Colts loseing there punch, I don't think so, but why are Colt Shooters and/or Collectors in such short supply on this forum ?.

IP

PS:
I just did a quick check of the messages on this forum and I don't think we hit the 5000 mark yet.

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 11-22-2003).]

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've scratched my head over this, too. It's no secret that Colt is a coveted name by collectors, and yet it seems that here on the internet, anyway, there aren't more than a handful of Colt people.

Is it possible that Colt collectors are not as internet-involved as S&W or H&R(!) people?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The S&W list seems to be one of the most dynamic around... yet I would think there is as much interest in Colt's products.

Of course, more people may own S&W products... and lots of people there share expert knowledge... and on the SWCA list Roy Jinks provides assistance as well...so it is sort of unoffically sponsored by S&W.

Still... it is a curious situation.

FWIW

CHuck

·
Registered
162 Posts
IMHO, today COLT = 1911 and 1911 = just about every manufacturer in the world. Most of them seem to congregate at the 1911 forum and for a long time, I'd drop in over there. Still do.

But revolvers = Old Farts, has beens and the lunatic fringe. Real People only shoot Bottom Feeders and anything else is just worn out old junk.

here's a quote from another Colt related board.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Just finished watching "Way Of The Gun" with Ryan Phillippe, Benicio del Toro, Juliette Lewis and James Caan.

It struck me as very accurate "weapon casting" if you will that all the old guys in the final shootout scene used wheel guns and the two young guns used Colt 45's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted that I had always thought that the Colt 45 WAS a wheelgun and was immediately corrected.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> 1911 Colt .45's.

I enjoyed the movie for those reasons as well,good pistolcraft for the most part....much better than typical.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid that we have reached a point where much of the history, legacy and romance of the Colt firearms has been lost. And those of us that still love and shoot revolvers, particularly Colt Revolvers, are just old Walrus that should be humored or at most, tolerated.

PS. the poster did go back and edit the post to make it clear that he was talking about the 1911.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

[This message has been edited by jar (edited 11-23-2003).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
"But revolvers = Old Farts, has beens and the lunatic fringe."

Well jar, I guess you just hit the 9 ring! I am clearly guilty on all charges.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear Ira and gents,
I wonder as I wander, also! I joined and put up a coupla' questions on the S&W forum and got more replies overnight than totals on my entries here. Maybe folks here are telling me something!?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi rcwambold,
I would have never went looking for the H&R Forum, in fact I didn't even know there was one, but was asked by someone that knows I'm always willing to help with info when I can, to go there and supply some info I have on there Pre War hi-end Single Shot Pistols, so I did. I could not belive the activity and the number of members they have for a Forum only about a year old.

Could it be that Colt people are not willing to help other Colt people with info. Of course I don't belive that but something sure is wrong here when a H&R Forum, only about a year old, can out do a Colt Forum that's about 3 years old ?.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Dear Ira and gents,
I wonder as I wander, also! I joined and put up a coupla' questions on the S&W forum and got more replies overnight than totals on my entries here. Maybe folks here are telling me something!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
There is more Colt activity on the Smith & Wesson site than here! (Mr. Stern posts there a lot, as do several others seen here, myself included.)

I too wonder why. Part of it may be as stated. The M1911-type pistols have their own site, as do the Single Actions. Those two are the BIG guns of Colt collecting. I suspect the cap and ball guns probably have their own site as well. There is a site for the .22 automatics, and there is a registry of target revolvers. The AR-15 has several sites.

As far as I know, the Smith site is the only one for Smiths.

A possible factor is that good old Colts are rare and expensive, and good new Colts are few and far between since production has been down for so many years. That limits the range of discussion to a degree.

Another possible factor is that more books have been published on Colts than on some of the other major brands. After all, once you have read Clawson on the militrary and commercial O-frame automatics, or Sheldon on the .38 Super, there is nothing left for discussion!

Of course, we could dicuss all the Colt errors in the Blue Book!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think JudgeColt has a point: that there is much Colt information available elsewhere, so perhaps less people NEED a forum to field questions.

And, while S&W has made autos and rifles, etc., it is fundamentally a D.A. revolver brand, very focused. As jar pointed out, Colt is so much more diverse: SAA & DA revolvers, 1911s, ARs, etc.

Nevertheless, for me, one of the great things about a forum such as this isn't only about finding data; it is being able to admire and appreciate rarities that I might never see or know about elsewhere ... as well as to brag about some of my own finds!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think another aprt of the issue, atleast from my perspective, is that there is a whole generation that has grown up sans wheelguns. The idea that a wheelgun could be effective, accurate or even reliable, is totally foriegn to many of the shooters out there today. They might accept the idea of a small S&W J frame, or the little Ruger SP series, but the idea of something that only holds 6 rounds as a primary weapon> Ludicrous.

But there is an upside as well. In todays climate, I can still buy a great old workhorse like the Smith Model 10 for less than what some of the High Cap magazines sell for.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I like some of the others here also visit the other forums. I try to answer Colt questions when I can and point out that we have a forum here.
I have noticed a growing interest in Colts over on the S&W forum lately. Some have admitted they knew nothing of Colts, so we may gain a few more members.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Woe is us. Yeah, I agree ... BUT, enough gloom and dispair - now, tell me about the revolver ... It's a Camp Perry, isn't it? Now, quick, before I jump out of my skin - tell me about the grip! You mean, someone else on the earth, at one time anyway, not only couldn't AVOID using their pinky-finger in their firing grip but made revolver stocks to USE this digit!? Thunderation! Tell me all about this one ... PLEASE!? Over? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Stern:
I've scratched my head over this, too. It's no secret that Colt is a coveted name by collectors, and yet it seems that here on the internet, anyway, there aren't more than a handful of Colt people.

Is it possible that Colt collectors are not as internet-involved as S&W or H&R(!) people?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
99 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Woe is us. Yeah, I agree ... BUT, enough gloom and dispair - now, tell me about the revolver ... It's a Camp Perry, isn't it? Now, quick, before I jump out of my skin - tell me about the grip! You mean, someone else on the earth, at one time anyway, not only couldn't AVOID using their pinky-finger in their firing grip but made revolver stocks to USE this digit!? Thunderation! Tell me all about this one ... PLEASE!? Over? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it's an 8-inch Camp Perry. The wood is Roper stocks, made by Maurice Gagne of Springfield, Mass., and designed by Walter Roper, author of "Experiments of a Handgunner" and VP at S&W and H&R mid-century. Roper stocks were popular among target shooters; and in my (very limited) experience collecting them, no two sets are exactly alike. I've never seen another set with the pinky rest. Most Roper stocks were aftermarket additions, although some special-order guns shipped with them. I have a history letter request in on this Camp Perry, which probably won't mention the Ropers, but might likely explain the British proof marks on it.

Here are to sets of Ropers on a 1937 O.M. and, in the background, an early S&W K-22:

and here is a serious target set on an H&R USRA single shot:

·
Registered
42 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ira Paine:
I don't understand this one bit.
This Forum is over 3 years old and has less than 600 members and way, way, less messages than other forums. ... Are Colts loseing there punch, I don't think so, but why are Colt Shooters and/or Collectors in such short supply on this forum ?...
(edited 11-22-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can find a wealth of info on the Web for the Smiths and very little for the Colt. Considering that there seems to be a dirth of modern Colts available out there at a price one can readily afford, can one really be suprised at the level of activity on this board? To consider spending nearly $1000 on a Python is out of my league.

I did my time in the SA pistol bit when I was younger. I even had a Bisley model at one time. The SA do not impress me anymore, and that seems to be what most people associate with COLT.

I got back into revolvers looking for something a little more comfortable and accurate than the run-of-mill semi-auto. I have 6 Smiths and one Colt. The Colt is an early model Official Police (1934); so far it is the only one that I could find that was affordable.

It does not seem suprising that there is not much activity in a Colt DA revolver forum, only disappointing.

[By the way, can anyone tell me whether a Pachmayr grip for a Python/I-frame will work on my older OP?]

[This message has been edited by Teakwood (edited 11-26-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,367 Posts
The Pachmayr's will fit the older Colt's.
The only fit issues are that Colt's do vary a little more in actual grip dimensions.

I suspect this is due to polishing variations.
The differences aren't much, and are more a "problem" with getting a close fit with custom wood grips that have open backstraps.

Again, the differences are very small, and the Pachmayr's will fit just fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well smith and wesson were near ruin and luckily were bought by gun savy people.How can you not cash in on the colt history and tradition.Well the current owners,board of directors ,stockholders and or whowever else is running the train off the tracks.maby thats too strong ,how about resting on there laurals,coasting along,paying stock divadents.If only one strong, rich, carismatic charactor could rain in the colt rains i think there not only would be more colt chater and intrest but they could be big man on campus again!man just start making detective specials again,colt cobras lower the rediculas price of the pythons and anacondas.as far as ther bread and butter 1911 variants the quality there is competitive as is what akll other 1911s are compared too weather you hate or love colts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This one seems pretty easy to me. Since Colt has all but ceased production of their handguns, the only Colt fans are now “collectors”. The average Joe can’t afford a Colt, so why show any interest in them? I’m as big a Colt fan as you’ll find anywhere, but must admit that the high cost of Colts is even driving me away.
I cut my teeth on a 4” blued Python and have since owned a blued 6” and a nickel 8” Python, as well as a nickel government model for my wife. Unfortunately I sold off all my handguns when the kids were young, and I didn’t find time to get out shooting. (No need to comment – I’m still kicking myself for this) I recently purchased a 6” Anaconda, just so I could pass down a piece of Colt history to my son. I could have bought a S&W, Ruger or even a Taurus for a better price. In fact when my son bought his first handgun, I tried to convince him to buy a Python. I was even willing to kick in a few bucks to offset the cost difference. Then my son pointed out that he could buy a Taurus, and save enough money to send the gun out for a custom trigger job. After shooting his Taurus, even I have to agree that he made the right choice.
While I love to talk Colt, it only serves to frustrate me more and more, since I can’t (spelled won’t) pay the current asking prices. My guns are shooters, not collectors items.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok ColtFan55,

It may be pretty easy to you but not for me.

Lets say I buy your story, so where are all the Colt "collectors", after all this is not just a forun for "shooters", I would think that because it's for both, collectors and shooters and the fact that Colts are well thought of, this place would be packed.

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coltfan55:
This one seems pretty easy to me. Since Colt has all but ceased production of their handguns, the only Colt fans are now “collectors”. The average Joe can’t afford a Colt, so why show any interest in them? I’m as big a Colt fan as you’ll find anywhere, but must admit that the high cost of Colts is even driving me away.
I cut my teeth on a 4” blued Python and have since owned a blued 6” and a nickel 8” Python, as well as a nickel government model for my wife. Unfortunately I sold off all my handguns when the kids were young, and I didn’t find time to get out shooting. (No need to comment – I’m still kicking myself for this) I recently purchased a 6” Anaconda, just so I could pass down a piece of Colt history to my son. I could have bought a S&W, Ruger or even a Taurus for a better price. In fact when my son bought his first handgun, I tried to convince him to buy a Python. I was even willing to kick in a few bucks to offset the cost difference. Then my son pointed out that he could buy a Taurus, and save enough money to send the gun out for a custom trigger job. After shooting his Taurus, even I have to agree that he made the right choice.
While I love to talk Colt, it only serves to frustrate me more and more, since I can’t (spelled won’t) pay the current asking prices. My guns are shooters, not collectors items.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The price of Colts used to be an excuse for the Smith shooters to use against Colt, but today that doesn't primarily exist. If you look at their popular comparable models today you will see that they are selling for about the price of a Colt. They overlook the value priced Colts and compare their service guns with Colt's target guns. If you exclude the Python most Colts are becoming more favorably priced with Smiths because their prices have risen drastically. Look at the auction sites and compare prices. I think that is why there is a small growing interest in Colts. The shouts of the past about Colt selling out on the civilian market has died down as Smith now has upset it's followers with "the agreement" and the internal lock. Buyers are now looking at Colts and realizing that they are quality handguns that's not as expensive today as it has always been preached.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Teakwood, I echo dfarriswheel's reply. Yes. The rubber Pachmayrs and Hogues made for the Python will fit your OP. I do it all the time! Just a thought to ad, don't throw away ANY grips, these days! Those skinny, solid wood service stocks that came on OP's are worth serious money and are hard to find. AND, FWW, I LIKE them the best! They're small - don't get in the way for police use - from another generation, of course, or hunting and they do the very best job of letting your hand find the frame of the gun and trigger. They squirm under recoil and aren't very fancy, but unless you've got some new Herrett's or some old Ropers, I think they're very good. Try 'em - you'll like 'em! (Unless you've got John Wayne-size hands and then all bets are off.) Happy shooting, Pard! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Teakwood:
I can find a wealth of info on the Web for the Smiths and very little for the Colt. Considering that there seems to be a dirth of modern Colts available out there at a price one can readily afford, can one really be suprised at the level of activity on this board? To consider spending nearly $1000 on a Python is out of my league.

I did my time in the SA pistol bit when I was younger. I even had a Bisley model at one time. The SA do not impress me anymore, and that seems to be what most people associate with COLT.

I got back into revolvers looking for something a little more comfortable and accurate than the run-of-mill semi-auto. I have 6 Smiths and one Colt. The Colt is an early model Official Police (1934); so far it is the only one that I could find that was affordable.

It does not seem suprising that there is not much activity in a Colt DA revolver forum, only disappointing.

[By the way, can anyone tell me whether a Pachmayr grip for a Python/I-frame will work on my older OP?]

[This message has been edited by Teakwood (edited 11-26-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts