Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how rare is a Shooting Master in .44 Special. There's one out there (pretty nice too), but I don't know whether to bid on it or not.

Reactions: XTrooper

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Congrats! Glad to see it went to a forum member, even if it wasn't me. :) One wonders what the City of Fullerton wanted with a Shooting Master.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh, my!!! SaaWEET!!! I'm curious as to the name and...title of the recipient, Clerk?? Unusual name, too. Probably wouldn't be hard to find out more about him.
Was it normal for guns sold to folks in CA to be shipped to Chicago? I've seen this before. Seems strange this late.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The "square butt configuration" is noted in the letter as a special feature. If I'm not mistaken the square butt configuration would of been a special order feature. I think the round butt was standard on the SM. You have one very nice large frame Colt DA revolver.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
The revolver could have been ordered as a presentation piece for one of the county officials, and the name on the letter may be the person that ordered it.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
The "square butt configuration" is noted in the letter as a special feature. If I'm not mistaken the square butt configuration would of been a special order feature. I think the round butt was standard on the SM. You have one very nice large frame Colt DA revolver.
Cam will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the .357 Magnum Shooting Master was standard with the square butt. I've got no idea why.:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Cam will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the .357 Magnum Shooting Master was standard with the square butt. I've got no idea why.:confused:
I just checked Murphu's book on the Colt New Service and you are correct. For the Colt Shooting Master in ,357 the square butt was standard.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,524 Posts
Rick. You are right on target. The .357 Shooting Master came out in 1935 and was offered as a standard configuration with the square butt while all others were standard with the round butt. Please keep in mind that by 1935 either style butt configuration could be ordered but if not specified then it would default to the standard configuration. On another point, while the lanyard ring was standard on most of the New Service is was not standard on the Shooting Master or the New Services in .38 & .357 caliber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.