Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bit of an odd duck here : Colt Single Action 357, 5 1/2", nickel, 2nd issue
Comes with original Stagecoach Box (black & red) S # 38xxxSA

I’ve held the gun is mint, unturned and the box is very nice as well.

I have purchased many guns form the old gentleman that is selling this gun. He recently contacted me (as he has done several times) because it’s time to “cash in some guns”. He has several “Woodmans” that I’m interested in but this one is outside my comfort zone.

Full discloser - I’m looking to flip this gun.

If you have been looking for one of these we might be able to work a deal that is beneficial to both of us. If you are not interested but have an idea as to what the gun is worth I would appreciate that as well.

If you would rather PM me than post that's fine too.

I didn't put this in classifieds because it's not really for sale yet.

Thanks for your time,

tap

This is it.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had one PM regarding this gun. I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this gun in this condition. I'm I missing something?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
I've had one PM regarding this gun. I'm surprised that there is so little interest in this gun in this condition. I'm I missing something?
If you haven't already you might want to post in the forsale section of the forum.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Put it on gunbroker or auctionarms.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't already you might want to post in the forsale section of the forum.
I don't think I should list it there because I don't own the gun. I'm hoping to act more as a broker. For example if a person said to me "I'd be interested in that gun for anything less than $2200". I'd do my best to put that deal together (this is just an example, I have no idea what it's worth). When looking at the BB I does seem that these 2nd gen SAA have gotten a lot softer.

I'll have a price and a few photos by next week, that may help.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
I have a 1971 Colt .45, 7 1/2" nickel all paperwork and box, unfired but light turn line. I had this for sale here once for $2500 but it didn't sell. Got a couple bites. The prices have dropped some on these. I'm just sitting on mine. Go to Gunbroker or Guns International and you'll find similiar examples and check their prices. Chances are they've sat there a while, though.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
With the down turn in Cowboy Shooting (SASS) the market in these has taken a corresponding dip. Especially the smaller calibers 38 and 357.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 1971 Colt .45, 7 1/2" nickel all paperwork and box, unfired but light turn line. I had this for sale here once for $2500 but it didn't sell. Got a couple bites. The prices have dropped some on these. I'm just sitting on mine. Go to Gunbroker or Guns International and you'll find similiar examples and check their prices. Chances are they've sat there a while, though.

That it! This one has MOP grips and the shorter barrel and of course it's a 357. Your's is very nice thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
If your gun has factory mother-of-pearl grips that's a very big deal. But if it has factory mother-of-plastic "pearl like" grips, then less so. It's just a tough market right now. And .357's don't stir people's blood as much as bigger calibers, though there are some pretty scarce variations of nickel ones.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your gun has factory mother-of-pearl grips that's a very big deal. But if it has factory mother-of-plastic "pearl like" grips, then less so. It's just a tough market right now. And .357's don't stir people's blood as much as bigger calibers, though there are some pretty scarce variations of nickel ones.
How big of deal would that be, money wise?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another 2nd generation gun to add to this thread New Frontier 45 7 1/2" Blue S#058xxNF * also New In the Box.

I'll see these guns tomorrow take a few photos. These are not my thing but if you have an interest maybe we could package these.

Thanks,

tap

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is what is on the gun. Pearl? Maybe maybe not. The gun has no turn line but the cylinder face does show signs of at least test firing. I would say that the box is a B+ (not bad for 45yrs old). I'll be listing this in the classifieds now that I have the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sir, that would be a third generation Colt!
OK
Not according to the Blue Book of Gun Values,Sir
"NEW FRONTIER SAA (2ND GENERATION)Add to Collection
- .357 Mag., .38 Spl. (rare), .44 Spl., or .45 LC cal., denoted by flat-top frame, adj. rear sight, and "NF" after the serial number, 4 3/4 (scarce), 5 1/2 (scarce), or 7 1/2 (most common) in. barrel, case hardened frame/blue finish and smooth walnut grips were standard. Approx. 7,300 mfg. 1961-1975."

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not according to the Blue Book of Gun Values,Sir
"NEW FRONTIER SAA (2ND GENERATION)
Add to Collection
- .357 Mag., .38 Spl. (rare), .44 Spl., or .45 LC cal., denoted by flat-top frame, adj. rear sight, and "NF" after the serial number, 4 3/4 (scarce), 5 1/2 (scarce), or 7 1/2 (most common) in. barrel, case hardened frame/blue finish and smooth walnut grips were standard. Approx. 7,300 mfg. 1961-1975."
That is right but unless I am mistaken, your handgun doesn't fall into that category!
OK

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is right but unless I am mistaken, your handgun doesn't fall into that category!
OK
LOL (odd punctuation "!", twice)

Please don't be reluctant to elaborate as to why. I've been pretty clear that I don't know much about these. The last thing that I want to do is misrepresent a gun due to my own ignorance.
When I saw that the weapon's serial number was followed by "NF" I took that to be an indication that it was indeed a 2nd generation.
Apparently I'm wrong. There is no need for you to be afraid to share what it is that looks out of place. Please share, it would be helpful and appreciated.

That's why I come here, to learn "chit".
:cool:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Like I said in my first post, you have a 3rd generation Colt...according to the serial number given, 058XX was made in 1979.
NF only means New Frontier and is on both 2nd and 3rd generation.
Hope this helps.
OK

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said in my first post, you have a 3rd generation Colt...according to the serial number given, 058XX was made in 1979.
NF only means New Frontier and is on both 2nd and 3rd generation.
Hope this helps.
OK
That is more helpful, thanks!

I went to Tombstone a few months ago. I was fascinated with the place. Their view of the "shoot out" is very different than what most of us have been taught. Very cool place.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Wouldn't a number of 058xxNF be a 1968 or '69 gun? Or are my sources wrong?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts