Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gun that I was wanting to get some information on about what to ask as far as a selling price goes. I have some information that I will give tonight and will follow up this post with a reply tomorrow to give some pictures of what the gun actually looks like. So the serial number on this gun is 88843, with an authenticity letter from Colt Archival Department verifying the pistol. It has a 5 1/2 length barrel with ivory grips and was original nickle plated from the factory. It has retained about 50% of its original condition but does show some signs of use. I was curious what kind of high to low range offers I could get for this pistol, and as I said, I will be posting pictures of it tomorrow to help with this process.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the photos of the revolver identified above. I also have one additional picture I will post in a separate post highlighting the butt of the pistol which shows the only problem with the gun, a chip in the ivory grips.
Authenticity details.jpg Authenticity Letter.jpg Colt - Showcasing chamber.jpg Colt.jpg Gun.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like it. It appears to be a neat old Colt. It's common for them to have some replaced parts and that affects the value along with condition. How many clicks when you pull back the hammer? Do the serial numbers and partial ser # match throughout the gun? What does the stamping on the barrel look like? What does the bore look like, how pitted? All these things are important to help determine the value. If it's for sale, I'd make you an offer based on your replies to my questions. I like it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the information I have gathered on it and after taking it around to a few gun collectors that live nearby, all that I can tell that isn't original is a few of the screws. The pin that holds the chamber in place has a screw that apparently has been replaced (since it is not flush with the gun) which would be something that needed to be fixed before firing but other than that everything looks up to spec.

The gun also has all four clicks when pulling the hammer back, which was something all collectors made sure to check for. There are three serial numbers that I can personally find and all three match. The stamping on the top of the barrel in slightly faded but still visible. Would you like photos of all of these things? Also if you could tell me where to look to find the other serial numbers or partial serial numbers I would be more than happy to provide you with that information. I am nowhere near a gun collector and only know the information that I currently possess from other gun collectors I have met while trying to sell this gun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's too much to type..I PMd my number to you so if you want to call me it will be much easier. I did notice your cylinder pin and screws BTW ; )

·
Registered
478 Posts
If the ivories were installed when gun shipped, would that feature not be noted in the archive letter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am no gun collector. The only knowledge I have about Colt's is what I have obtained in my pursuit to sell this gun. However, I am not certain if the ivory grips are even original or not. They definitely have some age on them but since the letter did not specify if it was shipped from the factory with the grips, I can not attest to their originality.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am no gun collector. The only knowledge I have about Colt's is what I have obtained in my pursuit to sell this gun. However, I am not certain if the ivory grips are even original or not. They definitely have some age on them but since the letter did not specify if it was shipped from the factory with the grips, I can not attest to their originality.
jef1308, no offense intended. I should have used different phrasing...I posed the question for the real SAA experts that will be along shortly. From the letter alone I believe we would expect two piece gutta-percha (hard, black rubber)...which started in 1881-82 I think.

And by the way, welcome to the forum. Great gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliment. Sorry, I didn't realize there were experts that made their way around. That is awesome to know though because I was wondering how other threads had such great information while mine had yet to receive any. Haha. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The grips were not "factory" no one @ colt would have made each side of the grips different sizes.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
jef, Remove the grips. If, in the lower area of the triggerguard there is a hole drilled through then the gun was shipped with two piece hard rubber grips. this was a transition period for Colt and some where shipped with one piece walnuts ( and NOT have the locating pin hole.)
The ivories certainly do show age and are probably period but they were not shipped with the gun from the factory or the letter would state, "ivory." Maybe I'm too fussy but the "flattening" or sanding of the lower grips sides kills a good deal of the value. The missing sliver can be fixed however.
Maybe it's my old eyes but 50% condition to me, means 50% remaining nickel and I can't see it. As is, in my neck of the woods 2000.00-2500.00.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Could you post pictures of the top of the barrel and the top of the hammer (to see how long the knurling is)? Also, are the last 4 numbers of the serial number visible on the side of the cylinder? These may be faint. How about the same numbers under the ejector housing? Is the caliber marked on the triggergaurd bow? I agree with Rick, I don't see any remaining nickel, but then again, I don't like nickel anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jef, Remove the grips. If, in the lower area of the triggerguard there is a hole drilled through then the gun was shipped with two piece hard rubber grips. this was a transition period for Colt and some where shipped with one piece walnuts ( and NOT have the locating pin hole.)
The ivories certainly do show age and are probably period but they were not shipped with the gun from the factory or the letter would state, "ivory." Maybe I'm too fussy but the "flattening" or sanding of the lower grips sides kills a good deal of the value. The missing sliver can be fixed however.
Maybe it's my old eyes but 50% condition to me, means 50% remaining nickel and I can't see it. As is, in my neck of the woods 2000.00-2500.00.
I am not comfortable removing the grips because I wouldn't want to risk messing them up to find out they aren't original. They due definitely show age so even if they weren't produced from the factory in that condition they were added shortly thereafter. I have always thought the chip of ivory that was missing was due to being broken off instead of sanded down, if I understand you correctly. I had this gun appraised before I received it and was told the same ballpark of 50% condition.

Could you post pictures of the top of the barrel and the top of the hammer (to see how long the knurling is)? Also, are the last 4 numbers of the serial number visible on the side of the cylinder? These may be faint. How about the same numbers under the ejector housing? Is the caliber marked on the triggergaurd bow? I agree with Rick, I don't see any remaining nickel, but then again, I don't like nickel anyway.
I would be happy to take a few photos, however, all I am working with tonight is a camera on my phone which can't quite focus enough to capture the caliber on the trigger gaurd. I can also do the top of the barrel and hammer. I see four digits on the door that opens but am unsure of the ones on the cylinder. Do I have to remove the pin to find these digits? I am also unsure about under the ejector housing. Sorry, like I said I have absolute bare minimum knowledge about guns so bare with me.

Like I said, I will get these photos uploaded tomorrow and would be glad to include any other requests.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Serial (New).jpg Triggerguard and Patent Dates (New).jpg

These last two pictures capture the remaining two serial numbers that I have been able to find (1st photo on right) and also the patent dates and triggerguard inscription (2nd photo on right). However, as I mentioned before, I am working with a camera on a phone so the resolution was not of the greatest quality, making it difficult to read the patent dates and almost impossible to see the ".45 Cal" written on the triggerguard. You can see there is something written in both places based on the picture but it is difficult to read just exactly what it says.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thanks for posting new pictures. 1st of all, the hammer is a post-1900 piece-so not original to your gun. Also it looks like the barrel has major scratches on it, almost like it was in a vice at one time-not sure what to make of them. The 4 digits on the loading gate "the door that opens" lol, are an assembly number. A matching number should be on the underside of the frame underneath the triggergaurd. This number has nothing to do with the serial number. You don't have to remove the cylinder to view any numbers on it. They would be on the side behind the flutes. You do have to remove the ejector tube to see any #'s underneath it. I think 1883 was around the cutoff date for #'s on the barrel and cylinder, so yours may or may not have them. But with an 88xxx number. I think they should be there. Not for sure without digging out the books. And my 92xxx (the closest I have to yours) has been converted to .38 spec, so no #'s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for posting new pictures. 1st of all, the hammer is a post-1900 piece-so not original to your gun. Also it looks like the barrel has major scratches on it, almost like it was in a vice at one time-not sure what to make of them. The 4 digits on the loading gate "the door that opens" lol, are an assembly number. A matching number should be on the underside of the frame underneath the triggergaurd. This number has nothing to do with the serial number. You don't have to remove the cylinder to view any numbers on it. They would be on the side behind the flutes. You do have to remove the ejector tube to see any #'s underneath it. I think 1883 was around the cutoff date for #'s on the barrel and cylinder, so yours may or may not have them. But with an 88xxx number. I think they should be there. Not for sure without digging out the books. And my 92xxx (the closest I have to yours) has been converted to .38 spec, so no #'s.
I removed the ejector tube but still no numbers on the barrel or in the ejector tube casing at all (inside, back, ect.). I have also thoroughly inspected it in all of the areas you have mentioned but still no luck with finding anything.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
According to "The Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver" by Grahm, Kopec and Moore, serial #'s up to 90,000 should have #'s on barrel and cylinder. However, yours is so close that I wouldn't fret too much about yours not having them.

About the flattening or sanding of the grips that Rick mentioned: It appears that both sides near the bottom have been sanded or something-not the sliver on the left side. Can you comfirm these flat spots??

I think it's a neat old Colt and having the wrong hammer isn't a huge deal, as some that you come across have replaced pieces.

Do you have a price in mind?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts