Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Colt Single Action Officer\'s Model Target Revolver

This won't be of much help but in looking at my Colt book it says:

"Perhaps as many as fifty variations would constitute a complete group of the Officers Models. ..........., the O.M. are extremely confusing!"

Sorry, I tryed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Colt Single Action Officer\'s Model Target Revolver

I have a Colt Officer's Model Target revolver in .38 special that functions only as a single action. I have only seen one other single action. Serial number is 625526.
Does anyone have any information on the sigle action officer's model?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Re: Colt Single Action Officer\'s Model Target Revolver

The single action modification was available as a special order from the factory on most of the Officer's Model target gun series.

Occasionally, a few were produced for general (non-special order) sales, and some were modified in the field by their owners.

The only way you will ever know for sure if it's a factory mod is to spring for the expensive Colt Historical letter.

Original factory single action guns are just rare enough, that I never got to service one that I was 100% SURE was factory. Therefore, I can't positively say how the factory mod was done. I HEARD that the factory just removed the double action strut from the hammer, which is how the non-factory field conversions were done.

In the pre-war days when the Colt target revolver was King, shooter's constantly looked for an "edge" and it's not uncommon to find an Officer's Model with the single action conversion, and occasionally, the safety assemble removed. Some shooter's believed the removal of the safety improved the trigger pull.

Both these alterations were that day's "cool,
"gotta have it" items, and non-champion level shooters often did the conversions themselves.

As the guns passed from hand to hand, many of these factory and non-factory single actions were converted BACK to standard double action.

So, as above, the only way to know for sure is to contact Colt about the historical letter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts